1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lefty Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bouncer, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone knows of a company that manufactures left-handed equipment. It seems most equipment is set up for right handers like backpack blowers with the controls on the right, brushcutters and chainsaws i also find awkward to use just to name a few. I've never seen any equipment in our business that offers this option. I would apprciate any information you guys could give me on this, Thanks!!
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

we used to have a few leftys and they had a hard time with our trimmers. I have never seen anything made for leftys

I forced my kids when they were babys to use there right hand when eating or using there hands just for this reason
  3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

alot of blowers i've seen have the left sided hip throttle
  4. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I just bought a REDMAX 7000 blower &it has the throttle & kill sw. on the left. They make 7000R which has controls on right.
    Also bought FELCO left hand pruners from A M LEONARD
  5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I use trimmers left handed. I don't have any problems other than pulling the cord.
  6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

The only piece of 'left handed equipment' have seen is a pair of bypass hand pruners made by 'Felco'.. I also being a 'southpaw' know of what you speak but I guess that is the penalty we pay for thinking with the right side of our brain.. No I dont own the left handed pruners.
  7. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! After a pretty extensive search i have come to the conclusion that for the most part there are no dealers offering this. I have also seen the blowers with the throttle on the left but they would actually be easier to use for a lefty if the throttle was on the right . Trimmers were my main interest but i dont see any offered by any company i can find.
  8. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

don't want to suck in your pants leg when used with the left hand.
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

There a very few items that I have seen over the years that are geared toward the left hand user. As mentioned the Felco line of pruners has some left hand models.

10. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Im a part time lefty. Ive just adapted to using tools right handed.

Its a right handed world folks.