Lefty or Righty? How do you WeedWack?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Jun 24, 2003.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Which hand do you have on the bottom when you weedwack, the left or the right?

2. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

the right, but angled

3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

lmao you two are sickos.

No really left hand down. But I think right hand down might be better. Less grass on your pants.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I STIHL hate couterclockwise rotating trimmer heads in the worst way.

Good for lefties, all wrong for righties. I must confess that I have had the thought of converting the FS 85 to a stick edger by adding the gearhead attachment for $150, then picking up another homeowner type straight shaft trimmer w/ clockwise rotation.

Someone should address this with a commercial grade answer.

5. RandyRhoads

RandyRhoads LawnSite Member

luckily I am a lefty and it is nice for me putting my left hand down. They are manufactured to be used that way. Though you'd think that they would make them more user-friendly for the righties?? Because it seems like there are more righties in the world than lefties. Hey one quick question that i've wanted to know ever since i first saw a lawn mower. Is it possible for a lawn mower, weed wacker, any type for that matter, to rotate the opposite way that they usually rotate?

6. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I am tired of walking backwards to get a good edge - look like an idot walking into parked cars!!:blush:

(what about that wheel contraption?!)

7. RandyRhoads

RandyRhoads LawnSite Member

has anybody actyually tried those blade edgers?
    They're incredibly stupid if you ask me. I can never get a straight edge!!!!

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying you use a trimmer to edge?

You referring to a 'stick edger"?
    If so, what's so hard about using it?
    Heck of a lot quicker and more defined than using a trimmer to edge.

Right handed, left hand down. Commercial trimmers are such an awkward pain with CCW rotation. What about that some of you tech guys, what's behind that?

You cannot run an engine backwards for very long at all.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I am right handed but I operate the throttle with my left hand. I also move from right to left as I trim. I have found that this prevents trimmings from getting all over the houses and landscaping.

RandyRhodes wrote:

Is it possible for a lawn mower, weed wacker, any type for that matter, to rotate the opposite way that they usually rotate?

Yes but it would take modifications. The 2 stroke engines would be easiest to modify. All you would need to do to them is rekey the flywheel so the spark timing occurs on the other side of the stroke.

A 4 stroke would need the rekeying, camshaft, fuel pump if equiped, oiling system, governor and charging system if equiped.

There are reverse rotation 4 strokes used in marine applications.

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Whats so hard about line trimming?(brushcutting) Left hand down and go from right to left.