Lefty or Righty???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jan 29, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Are you a lefty or righty??? On adjustable rotors the different manufacturers will have the "permanent arc side" on either the left or right side. This side usually has to be adjusted by turning the whole body in order to line up this side. Then we adjust the opposite arc side to either open up or close down. Which do you prefer?

My personal choice is to have the right side as the permanent side. When the sprinkler is inserted into the body and screwed in right there is no chance for the right side setting to move. I then leave the right side arc just short of the intended target and turn the body as needed to make it spot on. Makes it a lot easier for me to have the right side permanent and short of the target line because when I use Channel Locks on the body the sprinkler won't loosen from the body if I happen to get the cap instead of the body while adjusting. Also seems to make it easier if I've had to break down the throw a little so I can compensate for fanning effect. I then adjust the left side.

I'm sure it's going to boil down to what primary sprinklers everyone uses and the more one adjusts these sprinklers the more the comfort zone is.

And, then of course, there are those sprinkler models out there where you just slap the thing in and then can adjust BOTH arc sides. :)

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you only used Minipaws, you wouldn't have to ask that question. :p

3. PurpHaze

And if this was Brokeback Mountain Irrigation, lefty/righty would indicate which side of your jeans your member hangs. :p

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't there someone on here called BMI irrigation? :D

I use PGP's, so its set the right adjust the left....except for those funky reverse ones that you get on occasion.

5. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

Only use Rain Bird 5004's (used to use T40's) - the left margin is permanent. Not much Hunter around here & felt like a real idiot the first time I encountered a PGP & it took me 10 minutes to figure out how to adjust it.

6. PurpHaze

I know what both you and Jon are talking about. When I run into something unusual I have to make myself think in reverse from what we normally install and then you bang your head against a wall when you get one that is reversed.

7. ShepDog

ShepDog LawnSite Member

or a $%$#*# tbird...

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Rain Bird as well... Lefty.