1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

legal advice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawn, Aug 11, 2003.

1. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

:confused: I would like to know where to get legal advice on customers that refused to pay. Like the ones saying that they will not pay the bill because .. an excuse.... just to avoid payment. What do you do? How do you deal with people like that? any website that helps you write letters to this customers? or any other source that will not cost a lot of money?
  2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

How about a lawyer?

Seems like a good source for reliable legal advice to me.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i threatened taking my last non-paying (ex) custome to small claims court. that got the ball rolling. i didn't have a contract either, so it could have back fired in my face, but it was enough of a "I'm serious about getting my money, so pay up" thing.
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Around here, any registered business is required to have signed contracts for any work they perform. If you don't have one, not only are you not getting paid, but you are also getting a $600.00 fine. :cool:
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

A verbal agreement is what was established. Go to small claims court.

Paponte I believe is refering to where it pertains to pesticide applications.

However if you provide lawn cutting and the applications. All the judge cares about is the verbal agreement. And that you can show a history of invoices and so on..........
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Lawn,

Here is an interesting thread that deals with this topic.
  8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

This site will send your customer 4 letters of increasing severity, with the fourth they will report the customer to a credit agency. All for only $20.

there are also several other options, all of which are fairly cheap but do not carry any guarantee on collection.
  9. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

thank you all for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member