Legal business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigkyle, Feb 14, 2007.

1. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

Ok i am trying to become a legit business and i was woundering what all do i need to have to be a legit business. Please just a list of things would be great. Thank you for all ur help
  2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, you need to create a business entity, meaning an S-Corp, LLC, etc. Or you can file a DBA with the county as a sole proprietor. I would recommend a corporation or LLC to protect your personal assets. Find yourself a good accountant (which you will need anyway) and they can do the filing of the name for you.

-Then you need insurance. I get mine through Farm Family and have been very happy. You just have to join the New York Farm Bureau as well, I think that is $80-$90 per year. If you are planning on employing people, you will need a workers compensation policy as well as your auto and liability policies. Your agent can guide you along there.

-Then you can file for your business license. Here on LI, they call it Consumer Affairs license. You need a business name and insurance in order to get your license. Here, it is a simple written test (not about landscaping, just about how consumer affairs works), pay the fee, they take your picture, and you are now a licensed contractor.

-If you are planning on applying pesticides, you need to be licensed for that as well. The NYSDEC website has all of the information about becoming a certified applicator.

-I would definitely recommend joining your local landscape or nursery association, and get involved. You can meet a lot of people and make some great contacts. I did when I first started, and the President of the association sat down with me and went over everything that I listed above. There was no Lawnsite back then:laugh:

Let me know if you need any more info. Mike
  3. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

this helps me out alot thank you very much i do appreciate it.