1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Legal disclaimer for AERATION.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ENDURO, Apr 10, 2006.

ENDURO LawnSite Member

Anyone have a good disclaimer that you have the customer sign prior to aerating that you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm very concerned about being liable for things that I might hit within the 1st 3 inches of soil. I know most things should be deeper, but I cut my neighbors cable TV during an important TV event and he was not happy. I wasn't even digging really, just scrapping about 1 inch of grass off the surface w/ a hand grubbing hoe. I think they just lay the cable under the sod sometimes when they are lazy. The fact that the cable company should have buried it more than 1 inch did not alleviate his anger w/ me.
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My signed agreements state that I am not responsible for any Phone, cable or any other electrically conductive wiring that might be nicked or cut while completing the work approved by the customer.

This has solved the problem for me with electric dog fences, cable lines, low voltage lighting etc....

I cut my own cable line working at my new house. I found that the orange line was not buried at all along parts of the run, just down in the grass.....

3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

We dont have a signed agreement, but we tell our customers we arent liable. We hand out 25 pre printed company flags to all out aeration customers. they are responsible for marking thier sprinler heads and any other buried items they may have. We let the customer keep the flags so when we come back to aerate in the fall or sethatch or the following spring we dont have to make a return trip. To the best of my knowledge we are the only company in our area that does this. It costs time and money but the advetising is great, 25 flags with our company name phone # and services printed on both sides all over the lawn. We get our flags at Blackburn Flags they run about $5.00 per bundle of 25 i think, we order 1,000-2,500 every year
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

What he said. We got the same thing.
  5. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

All lines are supposed to be at least 6" deep. If a plugger gets one it's on the cable/phone co. not the plugger.