Legal in MN

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MrTim, Apr 5, 2007.

1. MrTim

MrTim LawnSite Member

Equipment - Check
    Insurance - Check
    LLC - Check

I'm looking for business licence requirements in the State of Minnesota. Nothing there except for DOT landscapers and Chemical application.

Is it possible that this industry is not regulated in the "State where absolutely nothing is allowed"?

Great forum, lots to learn here.

Tim in MN

2. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I'm in northern Wisconsin and Wis only requires a seller's permit for lawn care in order to collect and pay taxes. A chemical license is required if you are applying anything other than straight fertilizer.

I too am an LLC.

3. MNBOY

MNBOY LawnSite Member

You're good to go for mowing. Just remember to charge sales tax and pay it back to the state quarterly. Good luck. I can't seem to win a stinkin bid this year. And my prices are the same as last year!!! Yet, everything else has gone up.

4. MrTim

MrTim LawnSite Member

Sales tax on a service business?

5. MNBOY

MNBOY LawnSite Member

Yup. Check out the state tax site. Some landscape jobs you cannot charge sales tax but mowing you have to. Plowing you don't. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it is what it is. Don't get caught without collecting and paying. BIG fines for that.

6. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

Absolutely. In Wisconsin, lawn care is a taxable service.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Damnit, someone has to come on here from WI and reply before me! LOL.

But yeah, all we need is a seller's permit and Lawn Care IS taxable... I get funny looks from customers when I tell them that, so I pull out a copy of the regs from the IRS that clearly state this.

But snow removal is NOT taxable - go figure...

Of course, check the laws in MN to see what they require.

Good to see you're doing it right by being insured, registered, etc...