1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

legal or not legal?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jdmtnbikr, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

We all know putting business cards inside someone's mailbox is a federal offense (at least in most states). What about tucking it in where the red flag is on the mailbox? Anyone do that?

Any other ideas where to put it at the house?

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

From my understanding of it anywhere on the mailbox is illegal. Not 100% sure, so I tend to leave them alone. I has placed fliers in between the red flag before and had the post office call me. They said that unless I wanted to pay the postage for each flyer then I need to stay away from the mailboxes all together. I usually leave stuff at the door.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

not in, on or affixed too.....that is the impresion i got reading the us postal service web site, i could be mistaken, why dont you go to thre web site and see how you intreprt it...why not get some flyers or door hangers business cards are small easily lost or blown away, and not room for much information.....

you could use cheap magnets and stick them to the screen doors or something like that.....
  4. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

Do not touch the mailbox or post.

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

federal means all states..lol...and true, the post office sees the mailbox, inside and out, as it's domain, not to be used for any other purpose. There is no other interpretation to it. door hanger bags are cheap, fit over almost any door handle and you can put anything you like inside of that. plus, they keep your message dry and visible, the reason that they're favored for leave behinds by 99% of the lawn companies out there. just keep your eye out for fido <woof>
  6. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

Great, thanks guys!
  7. Mike's All Season Service

Mike's All Season Service LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using flyers for 5 years and some times the mailbox has a hook on the bottom and i roll up my flyers in a rubber band and hang it on the mailbox, if not i usually put it behind the flag, and i can guarantee i will get a call from the local P.O. every time, i've gotten a phone call every year and they don't do crap.
  8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

its a federal offence......youve been in business 5 years and your 18???? right:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
  9. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

what about putting flyers etc. in the newspaper box??
  10. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I don't believe that for a minute. Anyways, it's not a good message to be giving here. Bottom line is that it is a federal offense.....aka steep fine and penalties and/or jail time. It's the government! :dizzy: