1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

legal/under table? get real

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by outrunjason, Feb 10, 2002.

?

Do you operate Legal or under the table?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2002.
  1. Legal

44 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Not legal

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I was wondering how many operate legal. Like pay taxes and are registered with the countys.

Jason

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Still waitin' for a response on this one?

Of course everybody is legal on here.................what about you?

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Legal. Pay insurance, workman's compensation, taxes (you name it). File Scheule C with tax return. Operate as LLC.

4. Legal, schedule C, no employees. Registration not required because I use my own name.

5. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

Legal. Pay taxes, insurances and withhold taxes on employees. It makes it tough bidding againist others but thats the way I want to operate. I want to be consider a professional business.

6. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Filing for a LLC designation on Monday. Have not started cutting yet. Will not have employees in year 1 or 2 (maybe a sub contractor to trim in year 2). Getting quotes for insurance but will have in place before Feb 20, still trying to figure out sales tax in ohio (not convinced it is required given differing opinions on the board).

Good Luck Jason.

Jeff

7. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

If your not legal you had better be soon. I'm sure big brother never looks at web sights like this to see what we're up to.I have to go a black helicopter just flew overhead. JK

8. visions landscape

visions landscape LawnSite Member

Sometimes I really get a kick out of the ?s that get asked on this site.

9. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I thought I would stir up something here. I have talked to a lot of lawn care companies in my neighborhood. Most of them say they don't pay taxes. The dont have a number in the phone book etc. I checked this out and there right. Most all except cash. So I just wanted to know who would be honest with this. My scare is this. I have an assault charge and am on probation. I just messed up. I am afraid I will not be able to get a solicitars license and a business name after the check.

Jason

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

So are you saying that if they don't let you get a business license you will just do the business illegally since everyone else does? That's learning from your mistakes!
    I would think they would be happy to license you because that would be doing something constructive. I have no idea what the laws are here much less in Texas. All you can do is ask and find out.
    Maybe you could work a little deal with the law and tell them you know of some illegal businesses and would like to trade some names for time off of your probation.
    I bust my a$$ to make things work for me and I am 110% legit and those that aren't are worthless pieces of ****! I hope they get their just reward. Not much lower of a human being than not paying taxes and then coming up with some BS excuse for why.
    Good luck with your business outrunjason, just do it right and legit.