1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

legal/under table? get real

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by outrunjason, Feb 10, 2002.

?

Do you operate Legal or under the table?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2002.
  1. Legal

44 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Not legal

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. augs dad

augs dad LawnSite Member

You'd better have liability insurance no matter how small you are...two days after we bought a new truck my wife was driving down the street and a commercial mower threw a rock into the door right right below the drivers window. The LCO had insurance and they paid....but imagine if that stone had hit my wife in the head....it can happen and it does happen...I was in the insurance business a long time and the claims I've seen can wipe out a small business in a hearbeat...and aside from an 'accident' which is what the above thing was, if they can prove that you were also 'negligent' or did not use 'reasonable care' in your operation, your a** will literally be grass.

Gary in PA:

2. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of dillhole asks such a question and expects an honest answer. You wonder why there are over 700 viewings of that thread and only 20 responses. Are you IRS? :)

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Last I looked, 52 responded to the poll! A response to the poll is anonymous, a text response is a different story. Thus the reason for the poll, to get an honest response.

MATT

4. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

I don't understand why an assault charge would keep you from buying insurance and paying taxes. Maybe things are different where you are but getting legal here has nothing to do with your criminal record. The IRS dosent not want your money because you beat someone up. The insurance company is not covering you for fights. What do they care?

I am legal. I pay general liability (1,000,000/2,000,000 coverage), workmans comp., commercial auto (1,000,000 coverage), taxes (s-corp status), and I withold taxes from employees. I is just not worth it not to. Besides, the best accounts will require proof of all these things in order for you to get the bid.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

There are lots of guys out there with a full complement of insurance coverage yet still fly underneath the taxman's radar...

6. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

100 % legit only way to fly !!!!!!11:angel:

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh man...
    Readin this one was fun.