Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DBL, Sep 3, 2005.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

Hows it going guys.
    I guess me and my brother have been under the legal radar for the past two years and I'm sure everyone asks the same question but i cant think of anything to search for a complete list of what legal issues we need so no one busts our balls. I'm talking about insurance Workman's comp that kind of stuff. thanks
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

google and searce starting a business in "your state", county, and town, you should get lots of links, i did it for ohio and found a complete easy to follow kit . covered ficticios names and dba, corp, llc, partnerships.......last of these two you should use a lawer...

call your insurance agent and ask about liaability insurance for you lawn business.... and equipment

get a web searce for social security, so you can match your employees deductions

and call unemployment to get employees coverd forthat..

google workers comp and they will give you help, and phone numbers....

Open a company bank account, and thats it???? hahahahahah

really depends on how big your are i guess...solo or many employees
  3. DBL

thanks dave i think ill just coast this season out and be ready for next year but i needed to know what to get done in the off season so thanks.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If more people were as truthful as you, I wonder how many more lco's on this forum would qualify for your situation ... It is always a good thing to check on this legality issue, I do so from time to time and the way I do it is one little step at a time, so every year I become a little more legit and the reason I say this is because it's not as easy as it looks and it can be overwhelming, so one step at a time.

more than anything, I figure I need to pay taxes because if THOSE guys come after me then it's all over. Far as insurance, in most states it is not against the law to cut grass without insurance, not even as a business.

Far as taxes, you usually don't pay FUTA or workmen's comp unless you are registered as a corp OR have more than x-number of employees, not sure what x is but it is more than 2 I'm pretty sure. FUTA is unemployment and I only pay FUTA when registered as anything but a soleprop OR with more than a certain number of employees again thou on this you need to check with your state, googling is not a bad idea at all, I do that a lot myself.
  5. DBL

thanks so for that and i think youre right the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time and one day i hope to help someone else coming up in the business like you guys have helped me thanks alot
  6. farmerphilco

farmerphilco LawnSite Member

No need to wait until next season, your insurance is annualized. Something could happen tomorrow and you'd be screwed. As far as work comp is concerned you have to have that if you have an employee and even if you do not have an employee but you use a subcontractor you need work comp unless they can provide you with a ins. certificate.
  7. DBL

you do have a good point there and i will need it for plowing so ill be looking into that asap thanks
  8. uglytruk

uglytruk LawnSite Member

My wife and I run several apt complexes, and we keep 3-4-5 guys on full time, doing major renovation including roofing, etc. My wife is worried about the steep roof we have to strip/re-sheath/re-shingle. The guys are experienced, but the building is large, (68w.x20' to ridge). We pay them through an employment agency that gives them certain(?) benefits. But I think that they shoud be DBA, and I would pay that insurance that they/I need/want. Any thoughts? This is all in the gloriously beauricratic state of NEW YORK. :cool2:
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi uglytruk,

Do you insurance provider for your apartments whom you could ask about this? I would hate to see someone get hurt on your job site and take you to court only then to find you didn't have the proper coverage.
    <table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>