Legalities

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Daves Propert Maintenance, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Daves Propert Maintenance

Daves Propert Maintenance LawnSite Member
    from USA

I live in NH, and I need to know what I should get for licenses, tax ID #'s, Town Registration, State Registration, Zoning for storage, and anything else that will help.

Also, I need to know how to calculate depreciation on my Vehicle, Equipment, and I would like to know how to get tax rebates.

Thanks for the input.

2. cpritch

cpritch LawnSite Member

3. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

Start by getting a name reg. by the state. I would get a LLC so you don't have to worry about your personal assets if anything bad were to happen. If you get a LLC then you need a EIN (tax ID number). This is free and can be done online at the IRS website. You need a pestacide lic. if you put anything other than a straight fert down. I recommend using a fert company it is much easier. Search username SODKING on here. Its Green Grass Lawn care from Seabrook. The best in the area and good priced to. As far as depreciation theres different ways to do it best anwsered by a bookkeeper.

4. Daves Propert Maintenance

from USA

What about insurance?

Do you have anything other than liability?

How much does it cost?

What companies offer commercial insurance around here?

5. beautifullawns

I have general liability and commercial auto. If you have employees then you need workers comp ins. to.
    I pay a litlle over $1300 per year for just the GL. But thats for $1,000,000 million dollar coverage and includes snowplowing. I would call tobey merrill in hampton and ask for a quote its free!

6. Daves Propert Maintenance

from USA

Where did you get your T-shirts done?

Where did you get your Trucks lettered?

Where did you get your business cards made?

7. beautifullawns

I got my shirts from a place in hampton Falls on RT1 called supersport. I think I found a cheaper guy in rye though. The guy in hampton falls has a 24 shirt minimum.

I got my trucks lettered, business cards, door hangers, and LOGO designed by a guy in rye. His name is Alan Dearborn and his number is 964-2770. It use to be called Dearborn graphics but he just changed his name to IDsign I think. Good guy with pretty good prices. You could get it done cheaper but I like the work he does and he can design great. If you call him tell him I sent you. you should get a deal.

8. beautifullawns

Oh not sure if your interested but I have a 6x10 Landscape trailer I'm selling.

9. Daves Propert Maintenance

from USA

Thanks for all that info on the shirts, insurance, cards, flyers, etc. i really appreciate it.

On another note, I am definitely interested in the trailer. I have been considering purchase of one of those this year, and the new ones are pretty expensive. Give me some specifications (price, brand, capacities, open or enclosed, single or twin axle, etc.), and I will think about it. Thanks for the offer.

10. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

If a 6X10 is not big enough i have a 7X14 i am selling:waving: