1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Legit ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Allin, Jan 29, 2003.

1. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

2. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, thats quite the story! I think we have all, from time to time, hired people for a days work or so and paid them cash. I think these guys must have been doing it quite a bit to warrant an investigation into it. It does make you think twice about hiring a guy for the day and paying cash. :eek:
  3. KirbyKLC

KirbyKLC LawnSite Member

Call a temp agency. It's cheaper than loosing your business and going to jail.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Few years ago .... a local company here was doing landscape work for a large Drug Store coming into our area ... doing the same thing using day labor (not daily labor or like manpower which covers those important w/c n payroll taxes) ... just guys off the street .... he got hit with a $5k per employee fine
  5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I am a legit business, but i do know a few LCO's that hire collage guys and work them 3 days per week, cash paid. They are taking one heck of a gambel,but im sure there are many that do this very thing. I sleep alot better knowing ive been honest now for 14yrs in the Lawn Business.I agree with Kirby call a temp co. if you can't find anyone when more help is needed......Marks Mowing Service
  6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

if there gunna be digging holes and moving wheel barrel loads of stuff. A temp service is the way to go for sure.
  7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

sure i believe that one way to get around that CONTRACT LABORERS!!
  8. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

...and people wonder why they were able to underbid consisitently?
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the info John. Some people like to take some serious risks. Is losing almost everything worth trying to save a few dollars and do the right thing?

I hope that this winter was a good one for your company John.

10. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Peoples Republic of New York..........