legitimate newbie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ahmha, Mar 3, 2001.

1. ahmha

ahmha LawnSite Member

hello...I've spent the past five years full-time(60-70 hrs) on a nursery/tree farm(hand dug b&b) while attending college at night. I recently changed jobs and work at the college(irrigation man) leaving plenty of time for part-time work. My goal is mainly to establish myself/meet people. I want to go about this correctly. To start, I really can't afford much, finance a 36" wb Lesco belt-driven, other equipment would have to be low-end until next season I don't know if I need to buy a small trailer or try to make due out of my lwb truck(toyota t-100) Any suggestions/advise are greatly appreciated. For pricing I want to be middle of the road and selective about customers. I'm thinking of 10-15 yards per month. Am I on track? All responses welcome. Not sure what i really need. I've considered hiring a local pro to help me start? Thanks

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Are you going to be working in Mobile? Glad to see another redneck on here.

3. ahmha

ahmha LawnSite Member

yes preferably west mobile

4. ahmha

ahmha LawnSite Member

Care to consult a newbie?

5. HOMER

Sure, as long as you don't move east and steal my customers.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Get the mower ,ryobi ,be sure get the brush cutter
    790r,a poulan pro 24cc hand held.
    Use stihl 50-1 higrade mix .mix precisely.
    A small trailor or even aluminum ramps and load
    it in the truck.You are in buisiness.the cheap
    equipment will last forever with proper mix.
    When you can afford better you already got your backups
    GOODLUCK TO YOU
    ps do spend time learning your equipment

7. ahmha

ahmha LawnSite Member

would i be better off solo or should i take up an offer of one of my weekend nursery helpers to work with me, for some sort of percentage of profits?

8. ahmha

ahmha LawnSite Member

any opinions on the john deere/homelite quicktacth systems versus the ryobi?

9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

there both cheap peices of crap! Get a redmax trimmer and have it for years!

10. HOMER

Yes...............but you wouldn.t like the opinion. Save up and get commercial grade equipment, Echo has the split boom deal going and I would much rather have that than Ryobi or Homeylite. I had the Ryobi and the edger would kill your legs from debris hitting them.

I would also start solo, condition yourself before you rely on help, make your own mistakes and you won.t have anybody to blame............you also learn quicker.