Lehr trimmers and blowers?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by dutchacres, Dec 13, 2011.

1. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to see where they get that number from. Regardless of the accuracy, a large part has to be attributed to vehicle accidents and other such events that do not directly involve user sloppiness. A couple of years ago I was filling my truck at a gas station and the nozzle wouldn't shut off spilling around five gallons on the ground until I could hit the emergency off button. I had to call the cops because they insisted on my paying for the fuel on the ground.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Now a refillable tank would be beyond handy.

If they could control weight and make sure it is able to hold up to the use and abuse I am guessing they could be successful.

3. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

No, they just do what the lobbyists with the most money want.

4. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

I spill gas about once a week but its not my fault. I can blame it on the stihl gas cap on my blower and I usually spill it all down my back.:dizzy:

5. cleanairNC

cleanairNC LawnSite Member

I'd stay away. I used the Lehr straight shaft trimmer at a commercial level and it was JUNK. In the matter of months, I had to replace two fuel hoses, the handle broke twice, had to adjust the carb almost every use, they changed the oil level recommendation without telling anyone, and with most 4-cycle engines, you had to keep it perfectly level or else it would clog up and die. While the customer service was helpful in replacing these parts, it just wasn't worth it. I'd say it lasted about 2-3 months. Heaviest machine we'd ever used, and yes, the tanks were beginning to pile up in the shop.

6. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Guess you've never seen the little brass adaptor fitting that lets you fill the 1 gallon tank from a 20 gallon tank. Don't think the EPA condones it, but I hear it works.

7. LindblomRJ

Yes I have seen the adaptors. :hammerhead: Not sure if I would ever want to try to mess with them.

8. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

9. cleanairNC

cleanairNC LawnSite Member

Yes, I have the blower and the heavy-duty trimmer. So far so good, but we've only had them about a month, so I'll provide more feedback after we've put them through the gauntlet of an NC summer. I can tell you now that the blower with one battery is good for the better part of one day on residential mows. The trimmer goes through the battery a little faster, but thats to be expected. If Stihl made an electric edger, I'd be all set. Also, Stihl is doing a $100 rebate on the batteries if purchased with any piece of the equipment.

10. LindblomRJ

I'd think for small sites the battery powered equipment would be something worth looking into.

I have been wondering about the battery powered stihl equipment.