1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lein on non paying customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell113, Jul 1, 2004.

1. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Has any one not getting paid for services ever tried putting a mechanic lein on customer property and if so how much did it cost or is it worth the hassle?
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't done it, YET. I would think the satisfaction you get would be immeasurable.
  3. 95tsgr

95tsgr LawnSite Member

Applied my first lien yesterday. Cost 17.00 to apply, plus I added in mileage for travel to and from courthouse (r/t 60 miles), time away from work (2 hrs x 60.00/hr), postage for certified mailing, plus interest on deliguent monies. Also included amount to remove lien (13.00), mileage and time away from work again. All totalled clients bill went from $437.50 to $775.34. Property was due to close next week, but with a clouded title that ain't gonna happen. I get my money....they get to close!
  4. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

id say 200 and above and doing like 95sgr said. then it is worth it andything under 200 it is not worth it
  5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Jody posted a Lien Letter a few years back.

See if you can find that. I said something like, pay or I will file a lien on your tittle.

Mechanic? Wouldn't it be a property?
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

can't do it here in Michigan. It only applies to material that is added to the property, such as Landscape installs, irrigation, etc. For maintenance and/or just services, there is no lien available.