lemon law on trimmers?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ajordan193, Jun 30, 2006.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

I purchased a shindaiwa T231X a few months back and it is a p.o.s. My 5 year old stihl fs85 will run circles around it all day long. It has no balls at all, a weedeater from homedepot would work just as well. Also the head now moves around, dealer says it might be a loose bolt, now i'm burning up my arm which never happened before. So my question is what should i do about this....i'm going to go back to the dealer and see what they can do b/c this shouldn't be happing to a trimmer 2 months old. The newest thing it does now is shuts off when you let it idle. i just changed out the plug and air filter and no luck so i'm running outta patience. Reason i went with shindaiwa is because they have treated me well in the past, otherwise i would have went with another stihl. Sorry for the long post but i needed to vent i'm just sick of seeing money go to waste!
  2. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

We normally run t230's and have for the life of our company. It is not the most powerfull but has a real good power to weight ratio and will trim under normal conditions faster than you can walk. But our second set of trimmers are approaching 5 years now so we bought the 231x "special edition". We are still trying to figure out what is so special about it. It sits in the garage collecting dust in case we need it for a backup in a crunch. We had the same problems and have had it in twice to be repared in less than a year.
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my 231 is a pos too! i would never buy another one. i recently bought a shin home pro 22t. guess what -it outpreformes the 231 in every way! i have 9 other shin products -all preform flawlessly . the 231 is a turkey! it at least once you get it started (after 4 -5 pulls) and let it warm up -it dosnt stall like yours does. it does seem to have more vibration than normal too. no power either. some one here suggested changing the muff for one on a 230 and it would preform better. problem is finding a junker 230 to get the muff.
  4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Yes have heard change the muffler on this model fixers the problem from more than one person, or may be modify it your self if you know whats the problem is or if any bodys got any ideas on how.
  5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked the spark arrester? Sounds like that could be it to me.
  6. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

so if i'm not the only one that has this problem why doesn't shindaiwa do something about it? i'm going to talk to my dealer today and see where i can get with them. This dealer isn't my ordinary dealer and i'm not a fan but they carry shin so have to give her a try. Thanks for the replys i'm glad i'm not the only one noticing the 231's suck.
  7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Because Shindaiwa does not control/make decisions for the EPA. As far as trying to find a junked T230 to get the muffler off of.. why not just order the T230 muffler? 70135-15100 You'll have to modify your cover since the muffler exhausts in a different location.. but that should not be a problem for you pros.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

its 25$ for that 230 muffler- i think i will order one soon. if it makes my 231 run like my 230 -its worth it!

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

man it's not shin it's the epa standards, there are killing ope maker's,i am with you on the 231 we bought one and ran it a few month's hopeing it would get better anyway we sold it and went with redmax the 2400 are power houses.