1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lend me your annual knowledge??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cleancut, Dec 24, 2001.

1. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I'm writing up a contract for a new customer and I need some opinions for pricing annuals....The job calls for:
    30 flats of begonias
    10 flats of marigolds
    20 flats of impatients
    15 flats of chrysanthimums
    38 flats of pansies

This price needs to include plants, bed prep, dry slow release fert., and weekly inspection and replacement of dead flowers at my expense....What would you guys charge to do this...It's one part of a total maintenance contract..I'll post my price when I get some responses..Thanks
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the flats your standard 32 plants/flat or 48 plants/flat, or are they flats of 4" plants??
  3. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Sorry to leave that out..
    Begonias 12-4" plants per flat
    marigold 36 per flat
    impatients 18 per flat
    Chrysanthimums 10-6" per flat
    Pansies 36 per flat..

4. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Hey guys thanks for all the help that you gave me...What would I do without you guys....Noone here must not know anything about flowers....Again, Thanks a lot....
  5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Sorry Cleancut but no size of beds, or if your going to improve the soil or a 1000 other items that might be needed.
    Items that will infulance you price......
    your labor cost
    your over head
    your travel time
    water on site
    sprinkler system
    soil type existing
    if you just want me to throw in the flowers........
    my labor runs me $35 per hr yours?
  6. dj'slawnservice

dj'slawnservice LawnSite Member

You need to figure out your costs for all materials plus the markup.
    Then figure out as best you can your labor hours and multiply by your labor per hour charges.
    Will you just be maintaining these beds @this property or will you be doing the lawn too? This will help you figure out how much to charge for maintenance...I would include a weekly inspection as part of total cost
    The nurseries here guarantee their products so replacement should be free as long as you properly install and maintain......
    Buy a little extra of each flower so that if you do have to replace anything you will be saved a trip to the nursery plus you will be installing flowers of same growth size.........
    I've been charging roughly 3.50 sq.ft. for annuals but use different plants and flat sizes.....
    the marigolds and chrysathimums will require deadheading on a weekly basis when blooming......time consuming !
    hope this helps
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Here's how I plant lots of annuals. I use a bulb auger (1.5 inch)and a cordless drill. One person drills and 2 people plant. It will make the job faster!
  8. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

For commercial annual planting we plant 4", 4.5" and 6" annuals. We would need a larger auger for those.;)
  9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I beleive this was hashed out in another thread ???Did you get your answer ?

Any annual planting I have done is usually in "preped" soil ... You would not need a auger ... your hands or small hand trowel would do.