1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Length of landcape bed on 3/4 or 1 ton?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mkirby, May 25, 2008.

1. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

What is the longest bed you could custom make for a single cab chassis? It wouldn't need to haul allot of weight, just lots of light equipment.
    I suppose it depends on laws in different areas.

Might have to go to a cabover but not sure it is necessary.

Thanks Mike
  2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

My old 1 ton work truck had an 11 foot flatbed with hoist.
  3. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

depend's on what cab to axel mesurement ( ceterline of axle to back of cab ) got to make shure it is not to light on the front axel .
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

you can order a f450 -550 w/ long frames so you don't need a cab over, though I'd recommend one.
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You can order a Ford F-450 or F-550 with a 201 wheelbase it will give you a truck long enough to put a 16 foot body on it. As said a cabover would be a better option because a F-450-550 with a wheelbase that long turns like crap.

On a 3/4 ton chassis max length would be 9 feet longer than that the overhang is too much to deal with. Also a 3/4 ton doesn't have the load carrying capacity.
  6. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

the 2 trucks i converted were 3/4 tons and i just beefed up the suspension.they were 8x6 flatbeds and could hall 4 tons.
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Your just asking for troubles overloading a 3/4 ton truck. Tires can't handle the weight and the braking power isn't great.

If you want a landscape truck build it on a proper truck.
  8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

how much more is the 450 and 550 options? I've never prices a 250 but I for some reason thing it's minimal in the grand scheme of things.