Lengthening a trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by naturescape, Sep 28, 2007.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 5x10 trailer and want to lengthen it to 12'. I bought this trailer because I don't want a 6' wide trailer (which all the 12 footers were when I was looking.).

It has a single axle rated at 3500 lbs., so should be able to handle 2 hydro walks on it I'm sure. Right now I can just fit one on there.

Has anyone extended trailer length? I assume it's easy to have it done at a welding shop? Would it be ok to have the axle right in the middle of the trailer bed? Or would tongue weight be too little that way?

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Id think you'd have to move the axles back for the balance issue you mentioned....

Just be careful as you would be changing the dimensions, and weights it was originally rated for...but I don't think It would be huge issue...If you look at many of the small trailers, at least the nicer ones, usually the frame rails are one piece front to back, no welded extensions.

You'll end up having to remove the decking, and redeck the floor, splice in extra wires for the lights, and move and reweld the tailgate, fender, axles. its a bit more than just tacking on two feet...

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

moving the axle isn't really an issue. If you or whoever were to do it they'd just get new hangers (cheap, just a couple pieces of flat stock with a hole) and weld new hangers on and cut the old ones off.

The only decent way to do it would be where your splice is, you'd weld the two pieces then put a collar over it. Say its angle iron, weld your pieces together then get another piece of angle iron say 8" long and put it over the splice and weld it all up. Just extra area to weld to instead of a butt weld. If you have a regular utility trailer with the angle iron sides, you could also do some sort of triangulated bracing up in the sides.

Don't know if I'd want to try it.

4. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

I no what you mean about the width I have a 6.5 by 12 I wish it was only 5 wide makes had to go throught the bank drive through I was thinking making mine a little longer so I can put 2 quads on it

5. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Instead of moving the axles why don't you lengthen it from the front. All you splices would be together too

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

not a bad Idea, have them make you a longer tounge... then a new a frame at the front...

7. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

8. S.I.

S.I. LawnSite Senior Member
    from west

Add 2' in front and 2' in back then you won't have to worry about axle placement an you'll have a 14' trailer................maybe add a toolbox with extra space?

9. haul03486

haul03486 LawnSite Member

The front addition sounds like the easier of the 2 options im in the same boat i could use about 2 to 4 extra ft on my trailer. Maybe someone should come up with a rig for this problem and get a patton on it and make some money.

10. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello ,
    An idea maybe to sell trailer and purchase a new one with some of the features u have always wanted . Surely there are definitely some trailer makers out there who do your spec or will change the width 4 u .

As a recommendation from experience single axle trailers MUST BE loaded properly eg weight over axle with 10--15 percent weight on the tow ball .
    The main reason why is a single axle does not have the stability of a dual axle . Excessive movement of the trailer [from poor loading/design ]will influence the tow vehicle greatly . This causes poor driveability .

For the above reasons it is important to have a good tow vehicle eg plenty of tow capacity and plenty of torque/power etc

Brakes would be a recommended major priority if u do not have them already

tomo:waving:

ps i personally upgraded from a 5x10 to a 6x12 both single axle 9 mths ago . With all said and done this is as far as i will take the single axle idea .The drivability is compromised to be only fair to average when towing my max 4000lbs . At 3500lbs it is far better which is around 60 percent of my towing .