Leonard set the truck on fire.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shaded Green, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Shaded Green

Shaded Green LawnSite Member

Upon exiting the shop this morning, I hear one of the guys yell "FIRE". To my surprise, one of our trucks is completely filled with a thick white cloud of smoke. So me and another guy rush to the door, and open it in attempt to find and extinguish the flame. After we could actually see and breathe enough to find the flames billowing from the door compartment, we grabbed the hose already being turned on an ended the possible catastrophe.

Turns out, the new guy, Leonard, dropped his lit cigarette into the door compartment, which was filled with napkins, and didn't feel the need to find it.

I've been around for a while so I've seen the best of the worst. But Leonard is tops. His name is actually Kendall, but he doesn't seem to mind us calling him Leonard. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure he realizes it yet. Although, he does answer to Leonard.

The kid has alot of problems. I think the owner feels bad for him and is trying to help him out by giving him the job. He has no ties to him, he just wants to help the kid out. He's also very cheap. (Thank God) because he doesn't help with production at all. He also shattered the glass on a customers screen door.

What do you do with a guy like this? Everyone has tried to help the kid understand how we do things, and he's willing to learn, he just doesn't seem to have the ability.

2. 1st Choice

1st Choice LawnSite Member

Lay hands on him and pray for wisdom on nhis part...

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like he is either lazy or doesn't care. Or probably both.

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I was an instructor on a golf course that was built to show juvenile delinquents the ins and outs of golf course maintenance. Most of the kids never saw a blade of grass before and after a couple of months of holding their hand every day, they would start to pick it up. Patience, practice and repetition are your best tools to training a stubborn employee. of course, a good kick in the ass goes a long way as well.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Stripes - believe it or not you are doing a good thing by giving this young man some grace and attention. Grace takes patience....

Oh, and no more smoking in the truck:)

6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Lifes too short to put up with any of this.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well?...Let's think about this phrase for a moment....;):laugh: LOL

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

There are times I want to move beyond being a solo operator...

And then crap like this brings me back to my senses. LOL.

9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of screen door is made of glass ? Seriously though, I've dealt with enough burnouts and "recovering" meth addicts (I didn't know at the time) This guy needs to politely be told his services will no longer be needed. Oh, and don't let the door hit him where the good Lord split him.