1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco 15hp 48" Belt Drive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JJOHN22042, Sep 2, 2001.

Buy Lesco Yes or NO

1. Good Machine buy it

9 vote(s)
  2. Poor Machine Pass

10 vote(s)
  3. Wait till winter price will Drop more?

2 vote(s)
  1. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

LESCO is having a Sale on the 48" 15hp Mower is this a good machine for the price. Please some feed back on this

Price $2300
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search! I heard only great things about there walkbehinds from owners on here! There riders are another story!
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have run the lesco 48, 14 KAW for several years now without regret and few complaints. I'd be willing to put the quality cut up against any wb out there costing over twice as much.

I don't know about the 15 hp motor but the 14 has been a champ.

belts pulling in wet grass is something that always comes up as a problem. HOWEVER, mine pulls great wet or dry. that does not mean you can cross a creek with 5 inches of standing water but on wet grass conditions I think the lesco belt system is superior.

I don't know about mulching with that unit. I do it but on rare occasion. I think toro or exmark will win the mulching battle.

the real question is why not wait 'till they offer the same unit with a hydro for about $3500? good luck!

4. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i have one i got for 2400 and i hate it, the cut is alwful i have brought it to lesco,new blades, high lift, gator nothing, spacers in betwwen the deck and not no luck, the cloth bagger does not fit properly on the deck, and when doing an acre lawn in the spring, it stalled many times and i was only taking a 35-40 inch swath, but my toro fixed 36 cut it with no clumping or stalling. Also, the machine once started in gear and i brought it to lesco and they said they mite look it all over if it happens again and i once turned the blade on and the engine died and i wasnt on the lawn yet i was in a driveway. even though it is a great price spend the money on a quality machine like exmark or toro .
  5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1996 52 Lesco with T bar and 14Kawi, my friend has a1995 48 w 14 Kawi. There was a previous post about the machine, the problem was operator error. Paid 2900 1996
    good investment, do my own maintence. The deck is almost
    the same as other brands except for the castor assembly. All
    have Kawis, peerless trans. Dayco belts.
  6. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

My partner and I have the 48" Lesco. It is built like a tank. It works fine in wet turf and mulches good. I've also got a steal bagger, but it could be a pain having to stop every couple of runs.
    As for the cut it does a fine job with high lifts.

The only thing I dont like is adjusting the deck ht. between customers.

Over all I'm satisfied with the Lesco.
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Although I am never get a warm fuzzy feeling about Lesco Equipment, I think that the opportunity for a 48" belt drive cheaper than a 36" belt drive is always a GREAT deal! :p

These are the kinds of situations where you basically cannot go wrong. You could buy that machine, turn around and sell it making $1k before spring.

I prefer eXmark, but LOVE a good deal!
  8. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I would check on a hydro unit I paid 3000 for mine new.It was a dealer demo with 5 hours on it,didnt bother me a bit.Also if you have the money check out there sulky,it's real nice. :D
  9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

dllandscaping--you enumerate problems with your lesco without giving enough details!

has it never cut satisfactorily? ever?

sounds like you are having safety switch problems to me. I posted recently that the neutral ground wire came unhooked at a plug and my lesco ran away with me. but it wasn't the mowers fault. I snagged sometning that pulled the wire loose before I got the mower hung in a bad shape and it ran away. keeping the safety switches in good operating order is an OPERATOR RESPONSIBILITY, not a manufacrurer reponsibility.

also, I'll bet I can put any mower out there in grass tall enough to stall it.

as far as you reporting your lesco dealer being ambilivant regarding your reporting problems, it seems to me that if you let them talk to you that way then it isn't their fault! no dealer talks to me that way! not truck, car, or mower!

a member here recently posted that his bosse's lesco 52 didn't cut well (he posted it in other terms). then we find out that he had 4 spacers under the blade. HA! problem solved.

I don't have a problem with people posting legitimate complaints, even about my favorite mower. and I assume that yours is legitimate, but anybody can post a slamming comment without adding the facts to back it up or using the investigative skills to find out what the problem is.

good luck to you.

10. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

The Mower looks like a well built Machine. But wonder about Lesco for the Service? :confused: