Lesco 20 Renovator hydro oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lwcmattlifter, Aug 11, 2005.

1. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Anyone know what type of oil the hydro system on the lesco 20 renovator uses?

2. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

The label on my Lesco Renovator20 hydraulic tank reads "10w30/10W40". The operating instructions (3 or 4 pieces of paper) that came with it simply say "Use 10W40 oil." The Lesco dealer told me when I bought it I could use petroleum or synthetic oil, and that I could also use 20W50 or 15W50 synthetic. I run Mobil I 15W50 synthetic in it; same stuff as I run in my Exmark Viking Hydros. Works for me. YMMV. HTH.

3. lwcmattlifter

from NC

I bought this machine used for next to nothing because it had drive problems. It looks like it has ATF in the hydro tank. It's an older model back when they were powered by Honda. I would like to use 15w50. Should I drain and flush the old fluid or just drain and refill with the synthetic?

4. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

If it were mine, I'd just pump the ATF fluid out of the hydraulic tank, and refill it with the Mobil I. Run it a bit to get the hydraulic fluid warmed up and circulating, then I'd change it again. Only takes a few minutes to suck the oil out with a hand pump, large syringe, or something like that. Hope changing the fluid solves the drive problem. Good luck with it.

5. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

I Am Surprised The Atf Didnt Desstroy The System Completely. Ive Seen It Done A Few Times. Hmmmmm........i Always Thought It Was Supposed To Be Straight 30 Weight

6. lwcmattlifter

from NC

I flushed the hydro system twice trying to get all the ATF out. The hydro system has great power now. Next I need to get a new blade drive belt. Anyone know what the part # is or the proper length? The lesco website seems to be down.

7. MrFikit

MrFikit LawnSite Member

It's 721812.

8. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

Great to hear. Congratulations.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thats whats stamped on the top of mine

10. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

That's interesting. Maybe it was different for different model years. Maybe it took them awhile to figure out what was best to use. I really don't know. But doesn't straight 30W make the hydraulic system sluggish in cold temps?

Anyway, I bought mine new in August, 2000. Has the Honda GX240 engine on it. I think the original hydraulic oil in it was 10w40, according to what the dealer told me. I had to repair a weeping fitting shortly after I got it. That's when I switched to the Mobile I, 15W50. Again, the hydraulic oils recommended for my Y2K unit by the hydraulic tank sticker, the accompanying Lesco literature, and the local Lesco dealer are the ones I listed above. YMMV