Lesco 200 gal Compact Sprayer Maint Help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by pomticks, Jun 24, 2007.

1. pomticks

pomticks LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have a Lesco 200 gal compact sprayer. I was wondering from anyone who has one of these how often you change the pump oil. At least that is what I think it is? There is a small master cylinder container with a red cap. If that is not what it is please do tell me....What kind of oil you use and how do you change it. I have the rest of the system mastered.......just very unsure of the pump oil and the Lesco people don't know either...at least the rep that sold it to us didn't and didn't offer to find out. Thanks for your help in advance.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The pump has a cranckcase submerged in oil. It does not get dirty--much. However if the diaphrgms fail (about every 200 hours or so) the spray solution contaminates the pump oil and the mess often overflows out the top at the red cap. Replace with SAE 30 w.

When you change the diaphragms let the old contaminated oil flow out. Try to get it all out with rags or your fingers.

It is frustrating. There is no drain plug. I have been told to change the oil by turning the pump upside down! ...Right!

And it is difficult to refill with new oil because of small passages inide. You fill the sight glass and it slowly drips into the crankcase as air slowly leaks out. Plan on filling about 10 times at 5 minute intervals. Fill a few more times in next few days.

Myself, I am having trouble because my oil is still contaminated with a small amount of water/weed killer solution.

Has anybody drilled and tapped a drain plug? Is there a better way?
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

4. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

There are two drain plugs under the pump - one for oil and one for spray solution. Drain the oil and water before removing the heads. I have an metric allen wrench set that fits my 3/8 ratchet drive. Remove the allen screws until you have only the elevated one left. When you remove that one hold on to the elevated part of the head, as it is a separate part and holds the valves and o rings. The plastic diaphragm will now be visible on the pump. It has on hex nut with a convex (or is it concave?) washer. Simply remove the hex nut, swap out the diaphragm and reassemble then fill with oil (about 12 oz +/-). One more thing, the head closest to the rewind motor on the hose reel has insufficient clearance for a socket wrench. I unbolt the motor, slide it over and swap out the diaphragm. Its an easy job, maybe an hour or so. Its best done a couple of times a year - having a diaphragm fail sucks.