Lesco 36" belt slipping

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by outrunjason, May 3, 2006.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I have a 36" lesco and the right side belt slips. If you push it, it will go but then eventually start slipping. Lesco does not do repairs here. They looked at it and had me replace the spring along with the belt. I have still can't get it to work. So yesterday I attached a bungie cord to the top to help pull down more on that whatever you call it still slips. I don't get it. I also tried cleaning that round thing that comes out from the shaft that the belt goes around. I also took of the arm going to it just to make sure it was getting all the way down. That didn't work either and the brak is not on.

Any suggestions. Maybe this belt is the wrong size just by a little bit?

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

How old is your mower? The problem may be the jack shaft pulley being worn, this is the double pulley off to both sides of the transmission they tend to wear and make the belt drop low in the grove and since this belt actually grabs on the sides and not in the middle this is probably causing your slip I would change both sides at the same time the item#is 021969 hope this helps:)

3. outrunjason

from dallas

Yeah, that is what another shop told me. But I called a guy who works on Leso and he said that it was most likely that my wheel was locking up. Well I can push it fine. The guy who does repair on Lesco stuff also said there is now way it could be that pulley. I don't see how it could be either but it is an old mower. Not sure how old but runs and works great.

On a side note I just called Lesco to get a price on that part number you gave me. I called right at 4:30pm. He said can you hold. I held for 5 min called back and it said they were closed. He didn't want to mess with it I guess as they close at 4:30.

Thanks for the info.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The wheel locking up? Then why will it grab if you push tension onto the belt?
    Those pulleys do and will wear I just replaced two sets on two scag 48" walk behind mowers this week, and have done this same repair on lots of Lesco's. The wheel bearing may have failed on that wheel but I have replaced less wheel bearing then side drive pulleys in my time. Well good luck :)

5. outrunjason

from dallas

Well then I am going to replace that pulley. What do they run?

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I had a snapper that had this kind of problem...you can get a little more grip out of that driving pulley by taking a pointy punch and making indentions all along the side.. I assume the pulleys are very clean? And sometimes the belts just don't drive....we replaced Snapper belts with Scag and got a little more drive. In the end with the dang Snapper it never worked well.

7. thestripmaster12

thestripmaster12 LawnSite Member

look at the brakes and see of one is closed because that could cause your belt to keep running with the wheel stopped

8. outrunjason

from dallas

It ended up being those pulleys. I replace both of them. But man they were hard to get off.