Lesco 48 Belt Drive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Johnny Friendly, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Johnny Friendly

Johnny Friendly LawnSite Member

I have an older Lesco 48" belt drive mower (5-6yrs old) that has the left had belt slipping when the handle is released. If you push down on the handle just a little there is enough pressure to engage the wheel otherwise you can stand and hold the mower from turning to the right. I just had new belts put on in the spring and only use the mower on my lawn. I have adjusted both the threaded rods quite a bit both ways but have had no luck tightening the belt enough. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks, Johnny
  2. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is wet no ammount of jimming will fix that, if it is dry then possibly the wheel it drives on got lubercated somehow.
    Same thing used to happen to me and my old lesco 48" belt, a pain enough to bite the bullet and buy a hydro, best thing I ever did.
  3. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 2001 Lesco 48" and there were times when I couldn't get it to go up small steep banks - when conditions were dry! My mechanic cleaned out... I'm not sure what it's called... it's a cylinder shaped thing at the top of the area where the drive belts wrap around the pulleys and wheels. It pivots as you move the handles. Anyway, dirt seemed to restrict the movement of that part. After cleaning them out on both sides, the mower grabbed again going up hills. I still have that machine, but barely use it.
  4. Johnny Friendly

Johnny Friendly LawnSite Member

I will try degreasing the drive pully area and look for the cylinder thing that could be constricted with junk.