Lesco 48" Belt Driven Walk-Behind Mower Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bradleysch, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bradleysch

bradleysch LawnSite Member

My Lesco 48" Belt Driven Walk-Behind Mower won't pull itself up a slight slope or uneven surface even on the highest speed. I have to push it to get it to roll then the mower starts pulling. What could cause it to do this?

Thanks,

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

drive belts or the v - pully the belt rides in are worn

3. moljinor

moljinor LawnSite Member
    from Mi

When you try to go up a hill, does the pulleys that drive the tires also stop spinning? Does it do it in the higher gears vs lower gears?
    If the pulleys that drive the tires stop spinning as well, then the belt under the engine deck is bad, or the idler pulley for that belt is bad.

4. bradleysch

The pulley that is connected to the wheel spins but the belt doesn't spin making the other pulleys to not spin. It does it sometimes on flat yards when I Just get done making a turn. I am trying to use a Sulky but it seems like the mower doesn't have enough power to pull me after a turn or going up a hill

5. moljinor

moljinor LawnSite Member
    from Mi

Yea, sounds like you need new belts for the wheels. Having a sulky on a belt drive wears the belts out a little faster.

6. G_Dubs

G_Dubs LawnSite Member

Adjust your idler pulley, my lesco 48 needs adjusting one or twice a season. get the belt as tight as you can and you'll be set

7. bradleysch

Where is the idler pulley located? Thanks everyone for all the help.

8. G_Dubs

G_Dubs LawnSite Member

under tranny. bolt has channel it slides back and forth in. small and probably plastic.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

WAIT!!!

Before you adjust the idler pulley CHECK the transmission belt's tension
    because if it's tight there's no reason to adjust it.
    Once you loosen that dang bolt it can be a real PITA to get it back just right,
    ONLY ever adjust that thing if the belt underneath driving the transmission is loose.

Invest $120 or so in two new wheel belts, put them on.
    If that doesn't fix it report back.

10. moljinor

moljinor LawnSite Member
    from Mi

Tightening the transmission belt is easy. If you want some detailed instructions, just ask.