Lesco 48" walkbehind bucking

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TRX250R, Sep 27, 2006.

1. TRX250R

TRX250R LawnSite Member
    from RI

Hello, I have a 48 " Lesco belt driven walk behind. When I use this mower it will buck. It seems that it is maybe a belt or something in the pulley ststem The faster you go the worse it is. I talked to another person ( w/ a Lesco) and he said he had the same problem. I was wondering if you could help me w/ this problem. I have an older Lesco belt driven 48" and don't have this problem. Thanks -Walter

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it only happening in one gear or all?

3. TRX250R

TRX250R LawnSite Member
    from RI

All gears, but seems worse the higher the gear.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, first check the trans belt make sure there is not a chunk missing out of it.
    If not and the tension is good then your problem may be internal, you could have worn shift keys from shifting on the fly or pulling a sulky.

5. LESCO...MECH

LESCO...MECH LawnSite Member

worn shift keys lesco part#014658 (4) of them,also check the gears on the inside for wear.Top 3 reasons why belt drive transmissions fail 1. using a sulky 2.not strapping down on trailer,& left in gear (bumping back and forth at every stop and go)3. shifting on the fly.

6. TRX250R

TRX250R LawnSite Member
    from RI

Thanks, This machine has only have a Velke on it for 2 hours, and did it before the Velke. The machine also only has 110 hours. I never shift while moving and always leave it in netural when trailing. But I did buy it use f/ a guy w/ 90 hours on it. He was a home owner, maybe he shifted on the fly. Thanks again for your help. I will look @ it this winter.

7. harmons lawn care

harmons lawn care LawnSite Member

i have an older lesco 48inch walk behind mower. in first gear it acts like its jumping in an out of gear and the other gears are fine but slips until it warms up then it does good. today it wouldnt go into any gear unless you jerked the gear arm real hard. i was trying to find if the trans took grease or oil and near the top of the trans theres a bolt where the arm goes in. i took it out and it went in gear real easy so i put it back but only half way and that seems to fixed that problem will know more tomorrow. any info will help thanks