lesco 50 # spreaders.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Apr 18, 2011.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You were the only one there who knew its value. :drinkup: The average Joe thinks every spreader is the same.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

It was a Lawn mower auction was good deals but lot was junk Went to buy a snow plow came home with push speader plow went for new money

3. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Ted,

I'm not sure if you know this or not but I figured it may help. The newer 80# spreaders have two setting for the handles. One setting is higher, toward your chest and the other setting is lower, toward your waist. If you look at the two bolts on each side of the spreader where the lower part of the handle is attached to the spreader, you should be able to remove the lower bolt on each side and pivot the spreader handle to line up with the other set of bolt holes before reattaching the bolts themselves. If you didn't know this, hopefully it helps. If you did know it, please disregard!

EDIT: If you do readjust the handle, you will need to recalibrate the spreader with the nuts on the open/close rod.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

With all the advances in this trade over the last decade, you would think that someone would have come out with an awesome new push spreader. I just purchased a trek bicycle (OUCH), this high tech aluminum has an amazing weight to strength ratio!

5. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

I'm with you on the height issue ...I'm 5'5 and it's like a 8 year old pushing a lawn mower ... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Just finishing up round 1 & the small spreaders is by far the way to go!!! Anyone who would like to own a couple of 1st generation lesco high wheel, 80# SS spreaders should send me a pm!

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Hissing,
    how much do the two spreaders weigh?

The small 50 pounds spreader is painted metal /plastic hopper not stainless steel--right? Inflatable tires? Adjustable spread pattern? 3 hole design?

8. Hissing Cobra

Good question. I wish I could answer it right now. I'll have to check our computer at work to see what they actually weigh. I know they're a lot lighter than the Stainless Steel 80 pounders. Yes, they have inflatable tires (smaller units), 3 hole design, non adjustable spread pattern. The gear set is a 4:1 ratio instead of the 5:1 ratio of the larger 80 pounders. I'll try to remember to look up the weight on Monday and post back here. Oh, the manual deflector kits can mount on these and the hopper covers are available as well.

9. Hissing Cobra

O.K. I checked our computer at work and in the description, there's no weight listed. So, I pulled down a pallet of un-built spreaders to see what the side of the box would have listed. Unfortunately, I don't have any of these 50 pounders in un-built condition. I did see that the 80 pound spreaders weigh 19 lbs. each. I would imagine that the smaller, 50 pound spreaders would weigh around 14-15 lbs. each but I won't know for sure until my next batch comes in and I can check the box.

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I have one of the 50 lb spreaders, bought it being cheap but seems to work great.