1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco 54" ZTWO opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 Seasons, Feb 2, 2007.

1. 4 Seasons

4 Seasons LawnSite Member

OK guys, I just picked up my new 2006 54" Lesco ZTWO. I'd like to get some opinions on this machine. I've been using Lesco equipment for a long time,my dealer is the best,1st class customer service, but this the first ZTR I've got from them. It's got a lot of good reviews and if it's built the way the rest of thier stuff is it should be a very durable, reliable machine!! Any feedback would be great!
  2. FinalCut05

FinalCut05 LawnSite Member

I have the Cub Cadet version, the tank in a 54". Its a great machine. Other than the warranty problems I had when I first got it, it has been great. Only complaints I have are in wet grass it tends to shoot small clumps sometimes and doubles dont work very well for some reason. Anyway, great purchase and hope it works out for you.
  3. wacaweed

wacaweed LawnSite Member

I got my lesco 60 in last of the season so I never got to use it much but so far I love it. very well built machine.
  4. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Envy knows best!!
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I put a check-list together for new owners/new dealers... but I'll have to dig that back up.

They are great machines... I run the 60's.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

These units seem to have such fantastic service record that I actually do not mind to 'stir the stink' a little and ask.... "what kind of problems did you have?"

As for the small clumps, I have never had any wet grass issues at all with mine.
    But it's also possible the variable is that I run the 60"...

But I sure wouldn't mind to explore it with you and trade notes in order to find out.
    You interested?
  7. FinalCut05

FinalCut05 LawnSite Member

Within a few days of getting the machine, someone at the factory didn't tighten the bolt that holds the pto on the engine very well causing it to fall out and completely destroy the pto and the belt. All under warranty but still. Then a few months later my front axle bolt became really loose because the bearings on the inside were not installed properly in the first place. That was under warranty too but because of a shipping error I was out that machine for a few days. I know of 2 other LCO's that had the same problem with the pto, but one of them bent the crank in the engine, so he had to wait for a new one. Besides that it has been a very reliable machine.

Sure I'll trade notes with you, with the clumping, I use mow deck every time I change blades. About twice a week that is.
  8. exmarkdude

exmarkdude LawnSite Member

I bought my buddies 60" tank after reading all the reviews and in my opinion these machines cut terrible and are rough as Hell! I run Scag products and some Gravelys and these Tanks are not even in the same league.
  9. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer (and everyone elses I guess) can get the 48" hydro for $3050. I was going to buy a Quick 44.

Just fishing for input....I know the one guy just posted that it was a reliable machine except for the PTO problem he had. Any other Lesco input is appreciated.

10. Envy Lawn Service

That was in fact a known issue.
    I know someone that happened to on a 48" Cub TANK.

I don't know what the deal was with that (?).
    A lousy employee installing the clutches?
    A bad torque wrench on the line?
    Lock washers not installed?

As for bearings, I've had some bearing pre-load issues.
    But nothing at all serious... nothing that caused a bearing failure... or anything I couldn't fix myself.

All in all, as I've told others... these mowers have been far and away more reliable and trouble free than anything else I've owned. In two seasons I have had no down time to speak of, if any.... and I've only suffered one real breakdown that benched the machine....

Believe it or not, there is one moving part on these machines that does not have a grease fitting... but I think it's the only one... LOL. The tension idler pulley on the PTO-to-deck belt has a sealed bearing and it failed/siezed. 5-10 minute fix.

Speaking of that... I should order spares to keep on hand in the event another fails.
    I might even see if I can just find some replacements with greasible bearings(?)

Let me think a little on the clumping thing...

What blades are you running?
    What engine RPM are you running?
    What deck rake setting are you running?