1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnyjay, May 9, 2001.

1. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

I have just bought Lesco's LA4800 Pull-Type Aerator with split axle. I have three customers lined up for tomorrow. This will be my first time using it. The manual says the weight is 225 lbs. with empty weight tray. I can put 5 concrete blocks on the tray which will add approx. 200 to 225 lbs more. I could double stack the blocks if needed to add another 200 to 225 lbs. Customers were advised to water their yards in the morning. We have not had rain in over a couple of weeks. Little then.

My question is how much weight should I have available to add on it need be. What should an acceptible plug length be? I will be pulling the aerator with my Exmark Lazer HP 52" and 23 HP Kaw.

What other advice can you give me about pulling an aerator? Sprinkler heads will be flagged before starting the aeration.
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have the hitch kit for the hp? just bought the hitch kit and on the directions it said to pull no more than 80 lbs.I have a atv that I have been using and I think it is a 17 horsepower,do it with no problems. I would think the 23 kaw would pull the unit but why would they say only 80 lbs? Let me know how it works out for you.
  3. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

Yes I bought the hitch kit. I called my dealer and he said 80 lbs was what was suggested to cover their butts.

I added 5 concrete blocks for weight of 200 - 220 lbs. My Laser Z HP had no problems. Pulled great.