Lesco and Certification--why are they selling to anyone?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scottb113, Oct 23, 2005.

1. scottb113

scottb113 LawnSite Member

Hey , I don't really mean to pick on lesco but I dream of a day one must show ID and their pesticide certification to buy pesticide/herbicides. Is there anyone interested in regulating our industry? I see JOEBOB walk in bragging how he dont need no certiiificartion to spry no weeds and I spend hours trying to understand this rather complex industry. Its time to set a standard. Its time to do something. Does anyone share my thoughts on this? Department of agriculture(from state to state) lack the manpower and motivation to really make changes(lets face it most violators never get caught)--people in the industry can create positive change--it will help the legitimate operators and weed out(pardon the Pun) the rest.

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i dont mind picking on lesco, but the sad fact is that all vendors treat customers the same....got cash?...got an account?...got a credit card?...
    SOLD

lesco does put a line on their invoice that one needs to be properly licensed...but that aint nearly enough.

our local lesco service center sells to anyone and they do realize the vast majority of pesticides they sell go out the door with an unlicensed person. (with restricted use products they do ask for a license/certification number,,,,,but i have never seen them ask to physically see that license.So again anyone could simpy blurt out some numbers and...SOLD)

I feel your frustration but wonder if this will ever change?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What's the diff. They sell to homeowners because most of what they sell is the same stuff available at Home Depot, Lowes, or farm and tractor stores, anyway. Yes,...it IS homeowners that cause the majority of misuse of pesticides, but as long as they are able to buy the simple pesticides at retail stores, Lesco will continue to cater to them, too. Lesco operators do NOT like to deal with homeowners, however, they always have their doors open, so they can't really stop it.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

its the same in all businesses, $$$$$ does the talking

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

It's a 2 sided question why do we need a license when any1 can buy.

6. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

That's right, have you ever been in Lesco when there selling to a homeowner and hear what there being charged....try double what most applicators pay, at those margains they will sell to homeowners all day:pumpkin:

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

They can because the rules don't curtial the activity. They can't sell restricted use products but it Lowes can sell general use products then why not. If you want to change this, call your legislature.

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Can't knock the Lesco here. They asked to see my license before they would sell me Momentum. They keep the license numbers in their database and check whenever I buy a restricted use pesticide.

But anyone can buy Speedzone or Trimec at Tractor Supply right off the shelf. Lower qtys and lower AI's

9. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I've not purchased a RSU....ever, with all the different pesticides on the market I haven't the need or hassle to use them.

10. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Around here, it seems like every yahoo with a with a trailer has a 3 gallon sprayer onboard.

Pesticide license..... ha! Having a business license would be a stretch.