Lawn Care Forum banner

Lesco brand Mowers?

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Gr grass n Hi tides 
#1 ·
This site is an incredibly great resource! I'm a newcomer to the business and have been reading all of threads for about a month now. Great perspective from everyone that posts here which has helped me make a number of decisions & reinforced a couple of ideas I had.

I've got a good handle on a lot of the small things - obtained licensing from my County and State; taking the Dept. of Agriculture test next week; ordered shirts and caps with Co. logo; got set up with my Lesco guy for turf maintenance programs & ornamentals; business cards; insurance; found a good trailer (5x10); talked to the local temp agency about help if I need it; and even bought a modest yellow pages add.

Opinions vary a little on blowers, edgers and trimmers but I think I'll go Stihl all the way around.

My big question is: What does everyone think of the Lesco brand Mowers? I am considering them - leaning toward a 36 WB gear drive & a 48 WB hydro for my first year. One thing I don't like is that the spindle casings are aluminum vs. cast iron, but they do come with a 2 yr. warranty. I would like some input about their durability and quality of cut.

I can't get my local Scag guy to give me any prices! Three times now he's not called me and/or not been there at an agreed upon time. I realize comparing Scags and Lesco may be like apples/oranges, but would still like some feed back on the Lesco's. Thanks in advance for the input.

See less See more
#2 ·
Scag makes an excellent mower. I used several of them every day for two years with only minor problems that were probably caused by the operators during clean up (electric clutch engagement and electric start). I have a Lesco 48 WB that I use for hill and "trim" work. I have had it for 5 years now with no problems at all. While I feel the Scag is a better engineered heavy duty piece of equipment, the Lesco will serve you well until you grow to a ZTR.

#3 ·
Sounds like you have thought out things pretty well.For the 1st year in the business lesco will be great for you.Alot of us has started out with alot less.Plus lesco price right now is pretty darn good.The cut will be fine.You really shouldn't have any problems.Scag is a very good mower to.Best of luck to you this year

#4 ·
I also am getting a 36" Lesco gear drive, probably next week. I have a good relationship with my Lesco dealer for other products, so I have decided (also due to the price difference) to go with a lesco mower. My dealer has all the parts plus full time service.

Skag or Exmark may be a better machine, especially for high production mowing, but I have 20 small residential accounts, so I do not need a high production machine right now. As I grow the Lesco machine will become a back-up.

I also use Stihl products for my handheld equipment. I have not had any problems.

You did not mention how many accounts you are starting out with. If only a small amount you may only need one machine. Also no mention of insurance and make sure to deal with a CPA or tax attorney.

#5 ·
ffshunter -

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to see another thumbs up for Lesco. Right now I am very small time. In fact, I don't register on radar at all. I have done this as a side job only, for the past couple of years with just two accounts. I helped a guy a few years ago on some bigger "rough cut" jobs he had in the middle of the summer. I was walking behind a Gravely of his & got a taste for it then. I helped him with some clearing/chipping too.

I did consider buying one mower, which is definitely something to consider. My thinking is that two mowers is the way to go because I don't want to say "no" to anyone calling me for services (e.g. I could handle a larger commercial account vs. small residential), plus I could keep another guy busy and potentially handle things as a two man crew instead of solo when I get enough business. I want to stay as busy at this as I can.

One of the big question marks for me is how quickly will I get the business? I'm calling everyone I know down here to let them know what I'm doing/offering, visiting real estate agencies (where I know a couple of guys), and I'm going to put out some door hangers. I've got a gap to fill because the yellow pages aren't distributed until July, so I plan on running a couple of relatively inexpensive newspaper ads early in the season too ($50- $75).

Yup, I did talk to a CPA I know about things since I know close to zilch about it & he did give me some great advice. The guy is like a human computer - my question goes in his right ear and out comes the solution. You're right, put in the hands of a pro.

#7 ·
I do this part time but have my share of customers(mostly residential). I run the same setup up that you are looking to get yourself into and I have had FANTASTIC luck with their product. However, I have just posted about the rear tires being narrow on the 48" Hydro. Other than that i think it is a great machine

#8 ·
Turf Technologies and
dlomb72 -

Thanks so much for the input guys. My confidence level in the Lesco mowers is way up there now. Nobody is writing back saying they are unreliable pieces of ****. I can live with a couple of features that might not be on par with Scag or Exmark and the like.

dlomb72 - do the narrow tires on your 48 cause turf damage?

#9 ·
I've got a 48 inch gear drive Lesco walk-behind.

1. After 90 hours the safety switches were no good. Those brass bushings that surround the spoke things of the front castor wheels wear down real fast. I can't keep thoes things adequately lubricated. When they wear down, the tires rub against a poorly positioned bolt on the deck, which will eventually ruin the tire. I replaced those with solid tires.

2. Blow-out is a problem. It gets sucked into the machine and clogs up the cooling fins. Then it runs too hot and you have big problems.

3. Pistol grips on this kill your palms with the safety levers in place.

Mine did well the first year. The second year was not good. I spent over $2100 in repairs and parts on it. I was disgusted with it by the end of the season.

The hour meter connection broke off. I think it's got 1200 to 1400 hours on it.

For this year it is going to see much less use.

:blob2:

#10 ·
Another thing... the spindles are still fine. You just have to grease them regularly.

It's a good machine for the money. I was really disappointed with it for the second year though.

I tested a Lesco 52" hydro walk-behind a few days ago... I was really unimpressed. It would not go straight.:cry:

#13 ·
Thanks for the comments, everyone. You've all been very helpful. I also just discovered the "search" section on this post & there were quite a few old threads on this subject. Believe me, I read them all.

All things considered I think the positive attributes of the Lesco mowers probably outweigh the negatives based on all the feedback/reports. Then again what do I know, I'm just starting out.

If I could afford it I'd go and and get one each of every Scag model available and not have any concerns. You don't read comments on here from guys saying "yup the Scag I have is great but this feature and that are undesireable" or "the bad thing about a Scag is....." Obviously Scag puts out a great product.

I'm trying to get an even balance with the start up funds I have so I think Lesco is right for me. I believe they are a quality machine. Maybe they'll run so well for me I'll go and buy two more next year. In fact, I noticed that Lesco actually puts a larger engine on some of their models similar those produced by other manufacturers. There are more good reports than bad, but the bad reports are just as valuable.

Some things I think I will do is go ahead and pick up extra bushings for the front casters; grease the machines regularly (of course); possibly have a roller put on the front of the 48 to help avoid scalp lawns; and basically just keep the machines clean so I can reduce problems with blow back/engine overheating. I think a little extra TLC for the mowers is worth it to me at this point.

#16 ·
pilotcoplawnboy -

Thanks for the report. I see you're a tarheel too. That's what I had in mind - use the 36 for smaller jobs.

I'm sitting here cruising the lawnsite store thinking of comparing their "beginning of the season" letter to customer templates to what I've come up with.

#17 ·
As far as the gear vs hydro (this is for you Justalawnguy) the Hydro takes a much much lighter tough to keep straight than the gear drive models. Try a search on lesco mowers and you will get a ton of info. Some good , some bad.
I say that Lesco is the best mower for the money.
I run a 36" gear drive w/14hpkaw, w/jungle wheels.
only replaced the deck belt and the brass bushings that justalawnguy mentioned.

#18 ·
I don't know about your lawns, but around here there are a number of gates that you will not be able to get into with a 36". I would get(and will be getting soon myself) is a 32". Then get yourself the larger mower for the open jobs. A 48" would be perfect. That way you only have 1 size blade for both mowers. Unless you want to get into a 60" then I would stick with the 48". Just my .02.

#19 ·
PaulJ - Thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to pick up some extra bushings for the front casters. This seems to be a consistent complaint with the Lescos, but I think it's a negligible problem. I can live with that.

Stang38 - Going with a 32 and a 48 is a great idea. My Lesco guy suggested it too. We don't have as many old neighborhoods with gated back yards but there are some. The 32 would be handy though and I'd hate to turn down a job because I couldn't get through a gate! Maybe I'm too bent on "getting the most mower for the money" that I have to start up with. Come to think of it, 32 vs. 36 - I'm only giving up 4 in. which might add up to just a pass or two on a small property. Hmmmm.

Thanks, guys.

#20 ·
I sure agree with you about this website being an incredibly great resource. When I started out, I pretty much had to fly on my own.

A buddy of mine mows a huge piece of property with a Lesco belt-drive. It looks like he** 'cause it sits outside but it keeps on running year after year. I have a 48" Exmark Viking Hydro which is a great machine. But, had I known about Lesco in the beginning, I might have gone with one of their hydros, and saved a bit of cash.

I do have their slice seeder/lawn reconditioning machine. It's a simple machine that works really well. A terrific value for the money. And I enjoy dealing with the Lesco folks.

Good luck with your new enterprise!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.