1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lesco chemicals

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kandklandscape, Mar 25, 2007.

1. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

new to the whole chemical application's.

i need to know what is the mixture using the lesco brand. what is the best brand to use? how much per sq ' do you charge etc.
  2. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

I understand the whole thing of being new to being an applicator, but I have to ask are your licensed? I ask this because the first thing you learn is read the label, that is how you know what mixture to use and what the ft2 coverage for a particular product would be. As far as what to use, there are thousands of products out there that do a million different things. I suggest you read some of the msg boards here and see what people are talking about and then ask specific questions. At the very least go to your local lesco or who ever is in the area and ask them for ideas based on your goals. Sorry if I come off being a dick, but we seemed to use the "read the label alot around here". No offense maybe I read your question wrong.
  3. creatived

creatived LawnSite Member

Lesco Is All I Use I Pick Their Brains And Use Their Six Step Program They Are The Best In My Opinion.
  4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

That is one thing about Lesco I do not like. They sell to the public and to people they know don't have a licenses.

I think I am going to go back to Estes the drive is further but they enforce.

So to answer your question, read the label and ask Lesco they are you best source of local knowledge and timing. They will likely to send you out with some over priced granuar crap.
  5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

The lesco chems i use are 3 way herb. momemtum fx2, gonna try spectator or armada this year and different fert ratios. Figure out your cost per 1,000 sq. ft. and set your price from there.
  6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

this is a joke right?....:laugh:
  7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

In the state of Texas a liscense is only required to purchase restricted use chemicals and to make applications as a business receiving compensation. Most people think 2,4-D is a restricted use chemical. It is and isn't. It depends on the amount of AI and quanity purchased. Tractor Supply sells LV-4 2,4-D by the quart all day long to any nimrod that picks it up off the shelf. Pick up a 2.5 gallon jug and you won't make it out the door without showing them you applicator liscense.

You bad mouth Lesco for what reason? Why would Lesco not want to sell the bag of fert we buy for $13.00 to the homeowner for $26.00. Sounds like good business sense to me.

With very, very few exceptions, in the state of Texas, every chemical a liscensed applicator uses can be legally obtained by anyone without a liscense. Until our state passes some very common sense legislation and enforces it, just about anything on Lesco's or Estes' shelves can be legally purcahsed (but not always legally applied) by any lawn care nimrod.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am not so much laughing as I am crying when I read questions like this one. But other states don't have the 3 year requirement of working for a Certified operator before taking the the hardest certification test in the nation like Florida does. Penna is one of those states that you basically buy a License if you have insurance and go to work, no experience or education requirement. Ignorance is Bliss. Even here in Florida we have our certified idiots applying chemical.

Even if you could you answer this question in this thread, where would we start?? My only suggestion would be to contact the local extension Agent and get a basic program to start with. Then ask him for a list of books or publications put out by Penn State dealing with lawn care. Penn State has some very good seminars that they give cheap. Get on the mailing list and go. It takes 3 seasons to understand the basics and 3 life times to be an expert.
  9. Duekster

from DFW, TX

The typical home owners does not come in and by 20 bags of weed and feed. I was there getting supplies and I heard the Lesco sales rep tell a guy they don't enforce but cautioned the guy that he could get a 10K fine.

The sales guy knew good and well the person was a landscaper not a home owner.

At least Estes ask for a copy and wants to update it yearly.
  10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Texas has 3 ways to get a license but I think they will be soon getting rid of the 3rd. I got mine through the TDA but I had to sit for the test and I have to get CEU's every year. I have a T&O and ROW.