1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco Closing?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by magland, Jan 21, 2008.

1. magland

magland LawnSite Member

I heard through the grapevine that the Lesco in Omaha was closing. Only the JD Landscapes store would remain. I guess JD doesn't want to sell fert anymore. I wonder if this is going to happen everywhere.
  2. summitlawncare

summitlawncare LawnSite Member

I seriously doubt it. JD couldnt be that stupid!!!!
  3. magland

magland LawnSite Member

After JD gave up selling Lesco's equipment line and then raised prices like 50%, I think JD may be that stupid. Or they just don't care.
  4. summitlawncare

You're right.. never say never I guess
  5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

JDL is not closing down Lesco's. I've been told that tey're going to consolidate some stores that are very close to each other. They are ending the mower line as of 2008. All other equipment is staying. As far as raising prices "...like 50%", they did raise prices. Just like every other supplier did. For those of you who haven't been reading about this, the price for the raw materials that they use to make fertilizers have gone through the roof. Up 50-75% in a year. Apparently the Chinese and South American's are buying fertilizer like there ain't no tomorrow. Glyphosate (the AI in Round Up) is up big time also. Add in the ridiculous cost of the energy it takes to make the stuff, plus the obscene rates trucking companies are getting now, and there is supposed to be a minimum 20% price increase over last year.
  6. summitlawncare

yeah, thats what I had been hearing (about the price increases). Thats crazy, oh well, better budget it in, and get ready to spend some more this year.... so goes life...
  7. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i have seen here that when there is a jdl near a lesco and both leases are up they are looking for one larger building to house both. that being said companies will close a location if the business can not support it, wallmart closes old stores after opening a super walmart
  8. summitlawncare

Yeah, I did hear something to that effect no too long ago from my Lesco guy.
  9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Our Lesco here will close this fall, then if I want Lesco products, I'll have to pre-order them and pick them up at a JD landscapes location... That's straight from my lesco rep last Thursday.:cry:

He also wanted, "to get me in this great new program." Basically the same program JD tried to get me into the only time I've ever had to buy something there. Basically, I switch my cell phone carrier, spend $8,000,000 and promise them my next born child, and I'll get to buy products at about the same mark up as before.:hammerhead::hammerhead:

Good bye Lesco, Hello local ag/farm suppliers.
  10. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

On a related note, I see CubCadet Pro is selling the hps ride on spreader now.