Lesco Cutting Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSLND, Jun 30, 2008.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

My Lesco 48" WB is cutting poorly.

I just replaced the blades with brand new gators, and I keep them sharpened daily.

Heres one of the things: the washers for setting the cutting height that are on the castor wheels have to be set uneven for the mower to cut level. I didn't have to set them unevenly until I replaced the blades. One side of the deck sits a 1/2" higher when he castor washers are even.

Thats not it. The deck is not cutting little weeds that should cut with no problems.

What is going on?

-Mitch-

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

did you put all the spacers back on with the blades as they were before taking them off?

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

You clearly have your spacers on the blades goofed up then. Double check that you have the same # of washers/spacers on the blade bolts above and below the deck...

Once THAT is fixed THEN see how it does...

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Take off the Gator blades and put on regular blades, especially because the grass isn't growing too rapidly right now. Is one tire just a little low on air? Mike should be able to help you at Lesco.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

More than likely....your deck belt tension is too loose, and the blades are 'dragging' too slow to have enough tip speed to cut productively.

Open your deck and check the tension of both the engine-deck.... and blade-blade belts.
    I'll bet you a hot fudge sundae the adjuster bolt on the side of the deck, or the square 'turnbuckle' could be adjusted out slightly....if there is still any adjustment left, and the belt(s) haven't been stretched out too much.

And the possibility that this happened at the same time that you switched out the blades... could just be merely a weird coincidence.

I don't need to tell anyone here that alot of wear and tear can happen in a very short period of time when the &h!+ hits the fan !!

6. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Put the high lifts back on. My lesco cuts like crap with gators. Also check your tire pressure.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I can attest to the high lifts on my 52 Lesco wb. Made all the difference in the world. Much higher lift than any blade I've ever used. Tony

8. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I called my Lesco dealer today. They told me that the gators are made for cutting actual grass, and they do not work well in weedy properties. I'm heading up there tomorrow to get a set of high-lift blades for the machine.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

9. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

It's a blade it ought to cut correctly...... weedy or not

10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Originally Posted by DreamScapes Land
    I called my Lesco dealer today. They told me that the gators are made for cutting actual grass, and they do not work well in weedy properties. I'm heading up there tomorrow to get a set of high-lift blades for the machine.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

Dreamscapes,

There is absolutely NO reason in tarnation why sharpened and balanced 'gators' couldn't cut a "weedy" property.... just as good as equally sharpened and balanced 'standards' or 'high lifts' !!!

...assuming that the 3 different types of blades are spinning with the same TIP SPEED !

What ELSE could affect TIP SPEED ?!? :confused::confused:
    Slack in one of the two deck belts !!!

Like I suggested last night (along with my hot fugde sundae bet :rolleyes:).....
    Have Lesco-eaten-by-a-Deere's mechanic at JD check the two deck belts for 'too much slack'.........FIRST !!!

They could just need tightening.
    Or if one or both of the belts are s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d too much, they'll need to be replaced.

Watch them do this work... if you're allowed.
    You'll save some labor $$ doing it yourself next time ! :)