Lesco Dimension 0.10% vs Momentum Force

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mlong30, Apr 16, 2007.

1. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

Hi All,

Now that I'm using commercial products on my lawn, I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between the two products. These two were recommend by my local Lesco dealer for my region. I just wanted to know the difference between the two, and which one will get rid of my wild Dandelions in my yard!

080381 - DIMENSION 0.10% 19-0-6 30%PPSCU
    085008 - MOMENTUM FORCE 0-0-8E WEED AND FEED

I had been using Scotts for the past 3 years but it just didn't work on lawn.

Thanks.

Matt

2. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I'm not a pro, but have been using Lesco products exclusively for 5 years on my own property. Dimension is a pre-emergent primarily used to prevent crabgrass germination (and "some" other broadleaf weeds). Momentum is an herbicide (post-emergent). I buy/use Momentum in the liquid form for my sprayer to kill any weeds. Hope this helps. :)

3. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

lesco no longer offers momentum with the chemical clopyralid, which kills weeds through the roots. they do have a momentum but you need to apply when the turf is wet so the granules stick to the blades of the weeds. If i were you, i would ask them, the lesco guys, for a can of triamine. This is a spray can which will kill your dandelions and not harm your turf. The can can do about 5k of spot spraying and is only about 7 dollars. IMO exactly what you need.
    Use pre-emergents early in the spring(two apps-6weeks appart) for grassy weeds, they don't do real good on broadleafs even though they are on the label. Get a spreader and apply according to label, don't over do it. Its waste and not environmentally friendly. If you have a partial bag left, save it. Don't dump it on.

4. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

I believe this is my million dollar question. How do I kill dandelions through the root? I noticed when I dig them up by the root, the width of the roots are about as round as a penny, and the root stem is very long. They have been growing for about 10years, because the Scotts fertilizer I was using wasn't keeping them at bay.

<< can of triamine. This is a spray can which will kill your dandelions and not harm your turf>>

Will it kill to the root?

Thanks!

Matt

5. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

Are talking about the Momentum Force 21-0-11E Weed and Feed?

Thanks.

Matt

6. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Use regular 2,4-D from any farmstore(about $15 a gallon) to take out the dandelions. Buy one of those $10 1 gallon sprayers and it should be what you need. Dandelions are easier to kill in the fall so make sure you spray then also.

7. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

Since, I'm new to this, can you tell me the manufacture that makes the product? Were can I get it? Lowes...

Do I also need to spray the entire yard, or just directly on the dandelions?

Thanks.

Matt

8. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Usually TSC or Rural King will sell it. You could also run to one of the Lesco stores up there. There are several manufacturers that make it. Just tell the 2,4-D and they will know what you want.

You can spot treat the visible dandelions, however there will be many more that are not bloomed or lie below the grass. I would spray the whole yard the first few times to get it under control than spot spray the following years. It all depends on how big the yard is and how much time you want to spend doing it.

9. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

I'm getting pretty good deals at my local lesco store where I purchased my Lesco Rotary spreader. From my research looks like I'm going to need to spray! Can you tell me if the 2,4-D is better than the Bentgrass liquid from Lesco? I'm thinking I'll spray after memorial day, then another spray at the end of summer.

My yard needs to be thatched badly, so I'm planning on thatching, aerating, then seeding in the fall, but I want as many dandelions/weeds as possible gone before I seed.

Matt

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

if u have all the weeds in your yard u may be better off paying a spray company to come out and hit the lawn for you to get u started
    without spraying the weeds it will take forever with weed and feed bags