Lesco fert prices

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 11, 2008.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Last year, we were paying $14.52 for a 50# bag of 34-3-11. I just got off the phone with the Lesco guy after noticing that my Top Choice has gone from $149 per bag to $172.

He said a bag of 34-3-11 is going up about $7 this year.

FWIW, we went through 870 bags last year. The $14.52 per bag includes "free" delivery.

Is it John Deere f***ing things up or are all suppliers going up on fert this much???

Thanks in advance,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

sorry guy, but with all due respect...have you been living under a rock lately??

Fert prices are the talk of all industry message boards including a ton of threads on this board

YES, EXPECT price increases of 50% (or higher) regardless of the vendor

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I would caution All Lesco Buyers. They are not being nearly as competivitie as they have been in the past. They are counting on regular customers just coming in and buying based on past prices being cheaper, thus they put the high increases all to blame on the comodities market right now. IMO I found 46-0-0 $5.75 cents cheaper per 50lbs. in town then where they were at on their new increase plus, no shipping charges. The shipping charges are bull, if you have a retail center you are prodiving that service to the customer. LESCO equals a thumbs down right now.

4. crazy4green

crazy4green LawnSite Member

prices are up all over. as said all over the place. but i have heard that herbicides are droping a little hope its true new prices are killing me

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

My 1st round is all liquid. I've modified my program to try and shave some costs. I will be using slow release N, not straight urea. It will be a couple months before I go into dry. I know what the current price for me is at Lesco. I will be looking more closely at prices from a couple of suppliers when the time comes I have found no other sources of. straight 46-0-0 anywhere other than them. At least not what I can mix in my tank. If what you say is their strategy, they will only get away with it a very short time!

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Good One!:laugh:

7. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

You might find some lower prices here or there in the market, mainly due to older inventory. If you plan on buying product bagged and tagged this spring you will feel the pinch. If your an avid viewer of this site you have read all the reasons and they are valid, no-one is blowing smoke up your arse.

The day of $5.95 Urea from your supplier is over. You want better pricing step up and buy your whole season now. Drop the XBox controller and inform yourself on industry and world economic changes. This is not JDL issue, this is the global economy reaching into your wallet.

We operate in a strange industry. We offer credit to people without running a credit check. We provide free service calls, yet we pay our employees to go check out the problem. We sell a service and guarantee the price for a season yet we except the fact that Gas will be going up. We cringe when a guy wants to charge you $20.00 to deliver a truck load of fert and stack it in your garage, but gladly tip the waitress $1.00 - $2.00 for a $3.00 beer she walked 10 feet to give you.

You want to be able to charge more, flush the industry of all the unlicensed trunk slammers. Join your local Turf organization and lobby your State Congressperson get all chemicals out of the big box stores. Become a unified voice and defend the professionals and police the unlicensed.

FYI DAP into Tampa went up $75.00 to $85.00 a bulk ton in the last week. if your not sure what DAP is...get your colors out, that is the one of the numbers on the fert bag. Homework time kids, find out which one.

8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Check out some of your local suppliers.

I went to a local supplier that sells fert for Lawn Care Companies and Farms. Their new, higher prices are cheaper than I was paying at Lesco last year.

It is all slow release, and they service a ton of Lawn Care Providers in my area.

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

It's absolutely amazing to me every time I talk to the Ohio pesticide regulator for this area, and hear about all the territory he has to cover by himself.

There's absolutely no way one person could ever do a job like that in this region with any sense that he's making any real difference in reducing the total # or % of all the unlicensed landscape 'Roundup' cowboys and the 'no-decal' lawn spray jockeys !!

10. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I understand the backlash against the unlicensed, but there is a flip side to this issue. Sometimes the government creates a situation where they actually force people to break the law.

I started last year, and knew I had to get things squared away, and be 100% legal. I did all my due diligence, just finished my 30 hour cert apps course, and will take my test on the 29th. Joined my local lanscape gardener's association, got a FEIN, applied for a cert of authority to collect sales tax, got a DBA business cert, got the local municipality permits, an affadavit waiver for workers comp, got insurance etc, etc... had all my ducks lined up.

I go to the county comsumer affairs office, ready to shell out my $450 for a license.... and they tell me not to waste my money! They want five years of W-2's or 1099's that prove I can mow lawns competantly! I can't start an LCO until I work for someone on the books for five years! And they tell me I can't advertise or operate, or they will sieze all my equipment, including truck and trailer and threaten me with jail time!

I have since told the NSLGA (Nassau Suffolk Landscaper and Gardeners Association) about this and they say it's the first they have heard of such an outrageous demand. Today I dropped off the application with the assoc, and they have promised to fight this. The guy that heads it up is credited as a contributor to the NE states CORE manual and is the only guy on that list right there in the manual that doesn't have the PhD thing behind his name.

So, we shall see. In the meantime, I will not let them shut me down, I can't afford to, or I'll end up on the freakin street. So, I will be breaking the law until this gets resolved. The government is often anti-small business. They actually force people into breaking laws. Biggest lie in the world: "Hello, I am from the government, and I'm here to help you."