Lesco Fertilize with clumps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ed2hess, Jun 22, 2008.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

About 1 out of 5 bags of fertilze will have these clumps that clog the spreader on low setting. Last patch was 34Nitrogen. I have noticed this black residue in the bottom of my Lesco spreader that gets gu-e after setting in the sun. So I am wondering if the iron is melting and clumping in the bags. Local Lesco guy has pallets of fertilize setting in full sun. We used to have to screen it on the farm guess I will go back to that.

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would just screen it and keep track of your loss and ask for a credit.

If it is excessive, and it isn't your fault (product getting wet in your storage) I would ask to swap product.

3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like the bottom layer on the pallet got damp. How long did you have it in storage? Ask Lesco to exchange or credit you if it hasn't been long.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I just hit a batch of fert/allectus that has a ton of potassium chunks in it.

5. mngrassguy

Happens a lot when I use ag type ferts. Not usually a problem with Anderson, Howard Johnson, Lesco, Uap, ect.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

High humidity is tough on fertilizer--it "cakes" when it absorbs moisture. The higher the ratio of hygroscopic products like urea--the greater the problem. It can be reduced slightly by using more sulfer coat or adding dried sewage products. We use a laundry basket with 3/8 inch openings in the spreader to screen the product.

Try to get fresh product in humid weather. The longer it sits, the greater the problem.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Urea. I used to keep mine in buckets - would open 'em up sometimes and find it nearly petrified - and with the black liquid in the bottom... Perhaps the petroleum products it's combined with...

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This is Lesco 32-3-8 . I drove home from Lesco and put it directly in spreaders. Frustrating!

9. mngrassguy

Go back and show them. They will replace it and let you keep the bad stuff (maybe).

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't buy fertilizer that has been sitting outside, just like I wouldn't buy a mower that has been sitting outside. Weather is bad on these things.