Lesco Fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Dixie Rob, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

Is Lesco fertilizer worth the extra money of like going to the local farm/hardware store and buying fertilizer? Someone local told me their fertilizer was not that great.

Thanks,

Rob

2. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

It is not as simple as buying a bag of fertilzer. The consistancy of the product is very important along with the amount of SCU or other slow release N in the bag. And the total N in the bag makes a differencre. Look for a thread a while ago title 'know your N cost'

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

you better compare prices a little closer... Lesco products will cover 12K to 16K per 50 pound bag, most of the stuff you buy at the hardware store covers 5K.

I know that home depot and lowes sells 15,000 sq foot bags of fert, I have price checked them compared to Lesco and they were $10+ more per bag from the box stores.

The actual quality of the product, what The Ranger said, is a factor. Plus, how is the product stored? Most box stores and hdwe. stores I see don't give a crap if their stuff sits in the rain. Yes plastic bags do seep water! Nothing like spending money on a product that is mushy, or a brick! Stuff from Lesco (or and good supplier, not just lesco) never sees the elements until you buy it.

The Chemicals in the combo products are FAR superior in Lesco and others compared to the box store brands.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco has never let me down. Others ferts have.

5. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Not only do the Farm/Ag fertilizers lack any slow release but they also rarely contain iron or micro nutrients.

6. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

compare costs of N, not bag cost or amount of coverage or anything but the N.

7. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I preach quality and charge accordingly. Thus I use lesco fert for my dry rounds.

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

another point about lesco is that their fert is CLEAN, meaning low to no DUST, a homeowner wouldn't notice it on a small lawn, but if your doing production work, it covers the spinner plate after about 20k and you need to keep cleaning it. just makes it a PITA

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have used Lesco ferts for years. I used to maintain athletic fields and very high end residential estates. They have yet to let me down. You get what you pay for.

10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Well put, this has been my experience with lesco for over 20 years.