Lesco Ferts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdjoe_97, Apr 12, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

I just bought my first fert. from Lesco. I hope I made the right decision. I plan a four step program. The first app is going to be with Dimension .1. What kind of experience have you had with Lesco. I thought there prices were a little high. This stuff cost me $17.64 / 50# bag. The guy said it'll cover 12k square feet. I think I cant stretch it to 15K easily. My cocern is I think I charge to little for apps. I usually mark up the fert. 25% then charge a flat $30 or 40 to apply it. Please help me with anyfeed back you have. The Lesco guy said going rate around here is for fert app including material is $120/acre. I think he's blowing me smoke. Thank again Joe
  2. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco is the best in the industry in my opinon when it comes to fert,seed an most of all help from their staff .There stuff may be high but rember "you get what you pay for " .
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

jdjoe 97,

Just dont inhale! Anyway, if you figure your price structure for approx 1 acre. It would be $66.15 for your marked up fert, and then $40.00 for your flat fee. Thats $106.00. I would charge at least the $125.00 if not more. Just a qusetion, how are you going to kill the broadleaf weeds with a granular program? This is something I have had very little luck with. There is such a small window of opportunity where the grass is wet, yet not raining that it wasn't worth the hassle. I now have mine sprayed. No comparison.

Good luck.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you want to stretch the fert. out more than what is recommended? So it doesn't work as effectively? Why?
  5. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

I only said I may stretch it out to cut my input cost. The Lesco guy siad it could be applied at up to 15k/bag. I assumed that he told me 12K/bag just to sell more fert. I am sceptical that my customers will be willing to pay the suggested rate of $125/acre.
  6. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have used Lesco for two years and nothing else. I'm glad that I did. Not one customer of mine has any of those pretty little yellow flowers popping up. I'm amazed that the neighbors who use Scotts and Chemlawn have a nice assortment of pretty yellow flowers. Even this early, for being in Maryland, my lawn and my customers lawn are thick, lush and a deep green.

There may be better products on the market, but Lesco is close and I trust my Lesco staff. Never did me wrong, yet!

7. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

The guys at my Lesco are great. Their products are worth the money because their service is excellent. You get what you pay for. Unless your a hort grad their experience is priceless. As for the 125 an acre, I'd say this is quite conservative.
  8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. I go into Lesco and say " what do I need for this time of year. They take the guesswork out of it for me.
  9. gway

gway LawnSite Member

i dont know where you kids are from but out here in chicago area our lesco is awefullll...overprised products and thier knowledge of the product and customer care is the worst!!! ive had to replace 2 new trans on 48 walk behinds and they gave me some run around and basically would not cover the warrenty because of some lame response. i stopped useing lesco and now use a different distributor out here and the $$ are sooo much better and they actually help you out if you need help...and reading these posts i think we all need some help...

p.s. if the bag of fert says it covers 12000 sqft it means it will cover 12000 sqft. open anouther bag and use that for the extra 3000sqft!!!
  10. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

(4/13/01 7:51am EST)

My displayed post time seems to be 12 hrs behind.

My edit time seems 6 hrs behind

[Edited by Island Lawn on 04-13-2001 at 01:04 AM]