Lesco Fetilizer year program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turfman33, Jan 2, 2004.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Hi,

Can somebody help me out with a year round, (Probably 3 apps. per year), fertilizer program using Lesco fertilizer. I can not spread pesticide or herbicide, but anything without a caution on the bag I can spread. . Main use is on St. Augustine, so lawn guys in Florida could help me out here also. Thanks guys and Happy new Year.

Steve

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Steve welcome to LS.

Best Think I can tell you is Buy The "Florida Lawn Handbook" published by the U of Fla. Or go to there website.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/TOPIC_BOOK_Florida_Lawn_Handbook

Now for good color and healthy growth I would use the following.

16-4-8 25% release applied in late February to promote quick green up. A fifty pound bag should cover 8,000 square feet.

9-2-24 Slow release in early June to retain color and promote disease and drought resistance. Root growth and less leaf growing height will also be helped. 50 lb bag should cover 12,000 sq ft.

15-5-15 40 % slow release in late August to early September to hold winter color and promote deeper root growth. 50 lb bag should cover 7,500 sq ft.

Hook up with a local bug guy to offer your customer full service and you will see a big jump in the bottom line.

Good Luck

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody else better to have answered THAT thread!!!

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks runner:D

5. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

Another thing Turf get a license in the state of Florida as you will make more money and get more respect from your customers when you have one and plus then you dont have to sub out the insecticide and the disease treatments.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Kevin

Florida has the hardest test in the nation for lawn & ornamental Pesticides. Just Qualifying for the test is like getting a PhD. Takes three years working under a licensed Certified Operator that must sign you off to take the test. Over 50% of the people that take the test fail it on there third try. Welcome to Florida The Bug Capital on the USA

However your advise is good for your state where you can buy a license at the local extension service.

7. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Ric,

Thanks for your post I really appreciate the help. Do you know any good local Pesticide guys here in Orlando you could recommend. I have a lot of clients not happy with who they have.

Kevin M,

Ric is right, It is hard as heck to get licensed here in Florida, thats why I just don't put anything with a caution on the bag. I researched it all and went down to the Ex. Office to find out what to do. I can't give up my business that I'm growing to work under somebody for 3 years to start with.

Steve

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Steve

Thank you for your kind words of support on the Florida Licensing issue. Kevin M has said to me "Since you are the Governor of Lawn Site" in another thread. It appear to me Kevin has a hard spot for me, because he seems to post just the opposite advise right after my post. In that same thread Groundkprs called Kevin M "Noodleheads in the peanut gallery". Do a search under all three names and decide for yourself who gives advise you want to listen too.

I wished I had a name of a good pest guy in Orlando to give you. I am 2 hours south of you. If I were a good pest guy , I am a pest guy, travel time would kill me. To bad you are not closer, I would consider hooking up with you. I am pushing more toward plant growing in my new nursery at this time and may be getting out of the lawn maintenance side of the business. How ever I plan to keep Lawn spraying and Irrigation.

9. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

Hey Rick I dont care how hard the test is in Florida because I would pass it in the first try. LOL You do know what is going on in the turf for the Florida region and yes I do listen to the details of your posts. I do agree with them quite a bit but sometimes I do disagree with you on certain things but I have learned some stuff from your posts as well. Your right the test in Florida might be hard but I am qualified to take the test since I have worked for an applicator for the last 10 years and I have quite alot of practical experience in both ornamental and turf care but also in tree care. I can answer all of the questions when it comes too trees here in the south. LOL

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Kevin

Then why do you try and bust my balls.