1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco Final Application ~ Lawn Program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboy246, Oct 31, 2006.

1. lawnboy246

lawnboy246 LawnSite Member
    from 22033

Live in the Northern VA area and have a lawnb that is about 6,000 sq ft. The lawn is now about 4 years old, was heavily overseeded the past couple of years in the fall and is now very dense and weed free. The lawn is a mix of turf type fescue and some bluegrass. The lawn faces mainly towards the south so it gets sun for the majority of the day.

Up to now, I have had good success with the following program:

• March 17 - 19-0-6 30% slow release with Dimension
    • May 26 - 18-0-18
    • July 4 - 5-10-31 with 10% Iron
    • August - 5-10-31 with 10% Iron
    • September 1 - 24-5-11 50% slow release
    • October 1 - 24-5-11 50% slow release
    • November 7 - 34-3-11 or 46-0-0 or ???

Interested in not only feedback on the above program and possible changes for next season, but what is the optimal product to use for my final application of the season, 34-3-11 or 46-0-0 or ???

Also, what is the optimal timing of this application? Between the first and second week in November?
  2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I used 36-0-12 from Lesco for my final app.
  3. lawnboy246

from 22033

Are you located in MI or Northern VA; wasn't sure based on your profile.

Looks like that is straight Urea with a faster release than the 34-3-11.

Was also wondering if it would be better off going with a product that contains some iron to help deepen the color of the grass.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

24-0-11 50% PPscu 2 FE 1 MN @ .75 lbs N per 1000sqft in april

18-24-12 25% ppscu @ 1 lb N per 1000- sqft in Septemeber when I overseed If no overseed, then I use the 24-0-11 again...But I always overseed, the kids just kill the turf

24-0-11 50% PPscu 2 FE 1 MN @ 1.b N per 100sqft late oct, early Nov

32-5-7 50% ppscu @ 1lb N per 1000 sq ft in December

this is what do.....
  5. lawnboy246

from 22033

Sounds great! So you don't use any iron products or anything in the summer?

I would think using 50% ppscu in December would be kind of late for a slow release fertilizer. Curious why you don't apply it in November with a faster release like the 34-3-11?

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I'd go with the 34-3-11
  7. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

take a soil test and go off thier recommendations rather than a crap shoot.jmo
  8. lawnboy246

from 22033

Can you elaborate why you recommend 34-3-11 over something else like 24-0-11 or 32-5-7 or 36-0-12?

Also, wouldn't it be better to go with a product that also contains iron?

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

we really don't get any real cold weather until late january so its not too unexpected to have to run out and hit a few spots that are still growing in december. Plus it gives the grass soemthing to look forward too the first of march when it starts growing again before the spring apps.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Is your soil iron deficient? Iron deficiency is more typical in high pH soils--like out west. The southeast is more likely to have acid soil. You are more likely to need lime.
    Also, you are putting down more potash and less nitrogen than I would use up here in Michigan. I prefer a less potash, but include it in every treatment. Potash is soluble and it leaches out quickly. What does Virginia Tech suggest? Get a soil test. Is soil sandy? Low cation exchange capacity? Low organic matter? High level of phosphorus?
    Also what is the turf used for--football field? Golf? Home lawn? Are there disease problems at high nitrogen rates? Do you want to reduce growth so you have to mow once per week, or is twice per week OK?
    Talk to Lesco and other suppliers--get more than one opinion.