1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco front mount spreader... finally mounted!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I bought the Lesco front mount spreader about 4 weeks ago... not knowing how I was going to mount it to my Lazer... I decided on the Spread 4 Mower mounting kit. It's a bolt on kit but the holes didn't line up in the middle of the frame so a friend welded it on for me tonite. He also welded about a 1 foot piece of 1 1/4" square tubing on to the spreader. I can't wait to try it out! What a time (and leg) saver it's going to be.

I have a question or two...

How far does this broadcast?

Obviously, I'm going to have to open this up more than the Lesco walk behind unit... What kind of settings are you using for Lesco products... Ferts and seed?

2. This is where we learn about "fun with fertilizer". Get out the ice cube trays, and the scales.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

lawnboy... Thanks for the useful info :eek:
  4. plow kid

plow kid Banned

Somebody asks for help and you gotta be a smart ass
  5. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

uh............i dont think he was being a smart ass.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, he's about right when it comes to the scales and icecube trays. This is the best way to calibrate the spreader. You have to know your spread rate per speed rate, then stay within that realm. Many people just lay down cardboard, but I've heard of all different methods. I really don't think he was being fecicious.
  7. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I have never heard of icecube trays, I have seen cookie sheets used
  8. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Runner i was a little hesitant to defend him i was a little unsure, i knew i heard of this before.=)
  9. Basically any low profile container will do. Spread them out across your path and weigh the material in each one. It will help you determine if you are heavier on one side.
  10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I used beer/soda case bottoms when I calb. my lesco wb. I layed them long edge to long edge about 12 feet across. Put 2x4s on edge on both sides of drive to keep the scattering fert from entering the yard. I just bought a spiker to mount on my ferris . Probably a winter project. Need to rig speedometer to.