Lesco gear drive walk behind.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shuter, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I am shopping for a new walk behind mower. Only dealer in town is Lesco. I buy other products from Lesco , so I know how the dealer is. Has any one had any experience with Lesco power equipmet. Looking to buy a 36" gear drive walk behind. Any help would be great.
  2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

We have a 52/19 wb a 3months old a 48/17 wb atleast 5yrs old and a Viper 48/19 1 yr old, I like them

IGROTURF LawnSite Member
    from CHAR NC

They are good mowers at a great price.
  4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I woudn't be afraid to buy a gear drive w/b.
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Lesco 36" with a 14hp Kaw engine, gear dirve. I use a small grass gobbler grass catcher and Jungle wheels sulke. Also I ran double blades most of this season. The mower has about 500 hrs after two seasons. The only thing I have replaced is the blade belt and the bushings in the front castor spindles. I think that the lesco Wb is about the most Bang for the buck in WB mowers. They are built rugged and stand up well to commercial use. They do lack some of the features I like. Like electric clutch, larger tires, deeper deck. but that's just me. If the dealers a good one you should be fine.

Good luck
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

paul knoweth what he speak. I have an older lesco 48 belt with the kaw 14. it isn't perfect in all respects but for the price, you wont find a tougher machine.

I'll put it to you another way. I can buy two lesco 48 belt drives and a new 6.5 X16 tandem trailer for the same money as a exmark turf tracer hydro 48.

mower for mower I'd even take the TT, but the deal I described above VS. one TT.... HEHEHE!

7. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking to our Lesco dealer about them the other day and he quoted 2000 even on the 36 in gear drive. That is a good price, I just get get over the ECS controls on the exmark though. I'd pay another grand just for them.
  8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" Lesco wb bought new in 96. A friend has a 48 Lesco

its a 95. No problems. I put a toro T bar in place of pistol grips.

Also changed engine to a 14 Kawi for better weight transfer.

The 48 or 36 are longer than 52" do not have this problem.

9. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Aren't these made by scag? that's what my lesco dealer told me and it does look similar to my scag.
  10. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

thartz---- No they are not. MTD and Lesco are about the same and come out of the same factory i believe.

ffshuter----Ihave 3 lesco's and many other dealers are alot closer to me than Lesco is. Lesco's service is second to none so thats the main reason i use thier mowers.