Lesco @ Home Depot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RGC, Mar 29, 2008.

1. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

That's actually pretty funny but definitly sounds like something they would do.
    I had a similar situation a few years ago when a Kmart was closing near me and I bought two pallets of arrow starter fert, I think it was like 10-10-10 or something real aggie like that but I only paid 60 cents/bag. 48 0n a pallet at that time.

2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to be different from every one else but the Lesco-JD landscape supply in my town is a great store with great guys and the prices are cheaper than Home Depot. I have been in the Depot getting pinestraw and needed some fert. I went to the aisle and got the bag. I called Lesco and asked what the price was on the same bag. The price was about 6 bucks cheaper. The store is about a half mile away so I put the bag back and went over there. I wont go anywhere else. They are very helpful and knowledgeable. Plus, they always have a customer appreciation cookout and they call and remind you of it!

3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

The Lesco here isn't bad either. I just don't use their fert. The last I checked was a few years ago, and the Home Depot sold Lesco's 24-2-11 for just slightly more than the Lesco store. But the Home Depot's stuff didn't have any micros, whereas Lesco had their full micro pkg. on theirs.

And btw, Ric. Down here, anyway, Scotts changed their granular fungus product to T-Methyl with a slighly lower A.I. than Cleary's 3336. Adjusting for the A.I., the Scotts was still cheaper than Clearys, so I gave my salesman an earful.

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have any idea how many home depots there are? I think its somewhere around 1500-1700. Thats alot of pallets, even if they only order one per store.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Very true....

Did someone earlier say that these bags were less then 50#?

I have never seen them in the store so I am not sure!

To me....if it is the "same stuff" then heck, ask the HD Manager if you can buy it wholesale from them. If you promise to buy all your fert from them maybe they will give you even a better deal!

If HD handles 10,000 skids and wants to pass it onto you cheaper then Lesco, that doesn't make your local store the bad guy. Home Depot is just probably selling more then that store is, so they can't compete.

I STILL question if it is EXACTLY the same...but maybe it is! I guess I don't really care right now....but may need to someday!

If HD was $1 or $2 cheaper a bag I would still buy it at my local Lesco store. Service, delivery and loyality means more to me then money!

6. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Seriously, Turfgeek, what the heck are you talking about? Not to call you out but i can't understand what your talking about with your math on dim and active. So a 50# bag does 5000sqft on a single app?! So does 10#/k sound right? You want to watch your active per acre according to the math. Rate per 1000sqft times 43.56 times active as a percent (0.001 for 0.10%) So 5#/k will give 0.21lb active/acre and that's real high for a split app. The label suggests .38lbs active/acre/year. I wouldn't go higher than .55lb/active/year and get great control with that.
    And the whole home depot thing...I know a manager who orders lesco product for his home depot store and they do at least 6-8 pallets of three different ferts/year. Multiply that on avg by 1500 stores and i would say they have a pretty good amount of buying power. And since they are buying from TCS now and not Lesco, TCS can give whatever price they want.