lesco hornet killer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EagleLandscape, Jul 14, 2008.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

does lesco carry a product to kill hornets? if so, what is it called and how is it used?

thanks!

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i use either 'cross check' or 'actphate75wsp' both have a good residule and knock down power. just remember one thing.... WAIT UNTIL THE EVENING OR DO IT IN THE EARLY MORNING BEFORE THEY WAKE UP!!! because when you hit an active nest they are PISSED OFF!! and you'll probly get stung. just read the lable for the rates, cross check is 1oz gal, and the actphate75wsp is like 1bag (1.3oz)gal. both these insecicides are pretty cheap.

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

lesco wasp and hornet spray drops them in mid air

4. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

Walmart carrys a great product to kill hornets,wasps and spiders AND its on a buck

CARB Cleaner works great!!

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

the last time I had to go after a nest of flying stinging insects, it was done with my power sprayer, 1 oz bifenthrin/gallon and 1/2% nonionic surfactant. The paper wasps had no idea what hit them and I could knock down the ones flying towards me. I do not trust aerosol cans with their limited reach and capacity. They do not have the same firepower as a 400 PSI sprayer and a tree gun. Carb cleaner will work, if you can get it high enough. Hope there are no sources of ignition near by. Another one I hear of here that I cannot stand is a plastic spray bottle full of gasoline. Talk about invoking Darwin's Law.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Green Doctor

I believe the Carb Cleaner would do a nice job of melting the paint on the eves of the house as a side benefit. Not to even Say the EPA wouldn't be to happy. Talk about Darwin Awards I see a lot of candidates right here on this forum. BTW Some who are big time contractors.

I have to disagree with your choice of insecticide for stinging insects. Bifenthrin is just too slow compared to the quick knock down of Permethrin which is the common A.I. use in all aerosol Wasp sprays. I have shot down Tree Hornets like Skeet shooting with Permethrin.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Good thing I do not run into too many paper wasp nests on the road then. I only keep Talstar on the truck. I should bring the Astro in that nice squeeze bottle too. Reason why there aren't too maniy is because of the DIYers with their gas or carb cleaner. Up to them. Not my house. I have been told than God watches out for drunks, fools and children. People who do things like this fit into one of the categories.

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i shot some with carb cleaner, and they got up after about 2 minutes! then i shot them with carb cleaner and a lighter... they look funny as hell lying on the ground with no wings.

9. MNmasterEXTERMINATOR

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR LawnSite Member

If the nest is hidden inside of a cavity and you cannot visibly see the nest. Wait till night and just blow some "delta dust" inside the hole. Next day hornets will transfer the dust throughout colony killing them all within days. If the nest is visible where a respirator and hold a can of cb-80 or some fogger of the sort in one hand and a can of "wasp freeze" or "cb-80" fogger in other hand. At the same time spray the "cb-80" fogger above your head and spray the other stuff inside the hole of the nest. The hornets will be buzzing around your head but will not sting as they flee to die quick. The fogger will protect you. I have done hundreds of nests and never been stung. Never even put on a bee suit but one time. It was too hot. Then after a minute or so, knock it down with the welding gloves you should be wearing outside of your rubber ones.

10. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

wd 40 works good, i had some in my garage one year before i got into chemicals, i think the oil suffocates them, rather than effecting their nervous system