Lesco HPS hopper shut-off popping open?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RCA, Jun 26, 2006.

1. RCA

RCA LawnSite Member

:usflag: Hey guys,
    Had my HPS spreader a couple of months and love it! Only one small problem... My hopper shut off keeps popping open while I'm transporting it on my trailer. I'll get to my next stop and find 35lbs of fertilizer all over my trailer floor. I've been closing the hopper manually by sliding my secondary hopper opening down all the way to zero every time I finish a yard, but that's kind of a pain in the butt. I tried to tighten the spring directly up under the lever, but no luck. Anybody else had this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?
    Tks,
    RCA

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Tie the handle down. Use a bungee or something like that. If you've only had it a few months, it should be under warranty. Call the Lesco where you bought it.

3. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

had the same problem with the original Perma Green. Just use a bungee cord.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Use a tiny 6 inch bungi. Hook into the throttle lever slot, three wraps around the hopper lever and hook back into the throttle lever slot.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Like you say. Take it back to your lesco dealer and let them fix it.:dancing:

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

There is no fix from lesco, its a design flaw. We are running 2 HPS full time, when you hit rough roads during transport, the hopper lever pops open.

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A bungee it is then. THis used to happen to my push spreader on bumpy roads, a bungee fixed it fine.

8. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Using the drop in sprayer system requires the hopper to be empty.
    I have all lots measured out. Weigh fert on site and apply only whats needed. Leaving fert in the hopper causes problems.