Lesco Hps Maintenence Tips.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Jun 23, 2007.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We have been running hps machines for 3+ seasons, and have been overall very pleased with these machines. If you currently run them or plan to, we strongly recommend the following. Change the oil and filters every 25 hours, remove the pull start housing and spray liquid wrench directly into the center/spring every 25 hours. Grease the articulation points weekly, grease the front axle daily, check and lube control levers weekly, start and run the engine for 5 minutes directly after washdown as these kawasaki's dont like water. Air filter life depends on what you run through the machine, if you run a lot of dusty lime, change the filter often.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Nice tips there.

Has LESCO changed the HPS since your models?
  3. lawn king

The only change im aware of is a slight change in the front tires in 2005.
  4. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Good tips, I would hope that if someone spent the money for this machine that they would take care of it.... I have to replace the front end on my machine, the bearrings blew right out of it and screwed the axle just enough to where the new bearrings dont fit right.
    Here is question for you or anyone else with this machine. There seems to be more fert being dropped in the middle then off to the sides. This has become seriously evident on some of my lawns as we now have the dark green lines across the property. At first I thought I was overlapping to much, but this is not the case, as where I cut with the machine around the flower beds is where the streaks are (the exact track). I have been running with the third hole open, so I wonder if this is a problem? With that in mind, on my last app with the third hole shut my numbers were way off on sq footage per bag (way more). So how do you compensate and adjust the output setting number to be correct? My Lsc guy said it won't make a difference (Crap, obviously three hole drop more product then two). I am assuming that the third hole is supposed to be open, because all of my sq footages are on the money. Oh yah, I do clean the holes out on a regular basis and all the crap that cakes on the spinner.
  5. lawn king

Look at the very top of the impeller, where the square agitator bracket goes around it. If, there is severe wear in the plastic, it will cause streaking, i had the same problem.
  6. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I had to do a slight modification to both of mine. When making a sharp left turn, the float bowl on the carb. made contact with the piece of reinforced stainless steel that angles down to the bottom of the spreader. This actually will bend or warp the bowl and eventually the bowl will become loose and fall off. Cut or grind a small arc about 1/4" deep by 3" long for clearance and the problem appears to be solved. Also make sure that the rubber bushings for the engine mount are tightened regularly. I think I will also replace some of the bolts that Lesco put on that aren't stainless as I've seen some corrosion starting. Other than that no problems.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Don't have HPS.(PG) My opinion. Third hole. Do you mean the left hole? The left hole controls the fertilizer thrown to the right. (When the impeller spins counter-clockwise.)

If too heavy in the center, use a piece of duct tape and close off about 20 percent of the center hole. Open the setting one notch to compensate. Recalibrate.

Are you mechanically inclined? I am not--however--it would be great if you could put a shut-off on the center hole, controlled with a cable. You could adjust on the fly. Compensate for different fertilizer or products.

If anybody has done this, I would like to see photographs.
  8. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

King I will check out what you said and see if there is any where. You are talking about underneath where the dispensing holes are and nor in the bin it's self where the agitator is? Either way i will look in both spots.

Veg, I am not sure what you mean with the modifacation you made, I will have to look at the machine in the AM. I am not sure what you are saying about the the flat bowl on the carb hitting something, I am probally not understanding the parts you talking about (I probally call the something else, that I made up). I also had to replace all the engine bolts last fall, as only one was left to hold the engine on, they corroded right out.

Rig, there is a third hole shut off, operated by a cable.

Thank you guys for your info!