1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco hydro w/b or Ferris hydrocut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have an opinion on which is the better deal/mower? The Lesco 36" hydro is pretty much the same price as the Ferris hydrocut 36". The Lesco has dual pumps where the Ferris is only a single.
  2. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I have never used either WB, but know quite a few guys that swear by the Ferris WB's. They claim they are simplistic quality machines with a great striping ability.

Hope this helps.
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I've never run ferris, heard some stuff about them, I have run lesco/mtd/cub, they work for me.
  4. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

I never had a problem with the lesco's / ferris I'm not so sure about ...c
  5. cpipke

cpipke LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hello, I have (2) 2005 Ferris 36" Hydro and it is a great machine, it seems to handle better then most of the WB I have used and it cuts great with electric start it starts instantly. I live in Sidney Ohio 1 hr south of Lima what area are you located? If you decide to go with the Ferris, let me know my second 36" only has 2 hours on it and I only need one because most of my account I only use my 61" IS 3000Z.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you have any hills to cut get the Lesco dual hydro. The cut of the new Ferris 36 hydrocut is absolutely the best of any machine that I've owned including Exmark. The down side is that the mower is horrible on hills. The front end is impossible to keep on the ground when going up hill on anything over 15 or so degrees. Since it lacks the brakes that the old hydrocut had it is difficult at best to mow back and forth across hills.
  7. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

cpipke - I'm in Trenton which is at mile 32 on I-75. How much do you want for that Ferris? What has been your experience with it on hills?
  8. cpipke

cpipke LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Shoot me an E-mail Cpipke@woh.rr.com with tax it was aprox $3000.00 new but they will be lowering the price in the late fall about $200.00, I am sure we can work something out I have extra blades (Hi-lift) and oil filters.
  9. cpipke

cpipke LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Sorry I did not answer the hill question, I have several (8) props with hills, (7) medium sized and (1) prop that was steep and gave me issues but it was fixed by adding weight to the front and I will tell you what it cuts better then any other WB I have ever used.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Try mowing a ditch with single hydro and see how it does. Not many advantages of single hydro except original cost, get the dual hydro you will have less stress on your body.